Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle problems with 2002 SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problems with 2002 SS

I have a 2002 SS with a Direct Flow lid and a loud mouth. In the past I have had trouble with a high and erratic idle. Sometimes when coasting in neutral to a stop, the car will rev up from the usual 800 rpm idle to 2,500 or more rpm. This seems to occur more when the air condition is on. This hasn't happened lately. I assume part of the reason is I haven't had to run the air condition. Then yesterday, when I cranked the car up, it would die almost as soon as it cranked. Finally I got the car to run, but only while I was keeping it running by pressing the throttle. After a few minutes of doing this, the car would idle, but just barely at around 500 rpms. I finally quit messing with it and just left it over night. When I tried to crank it this morning, it ran fine. The idle was a little higher(around 1,000) all the way to work though. Other than the lid and cat-back, the car is totally stock with 11,000 miles. I took the car back to the dealership a few months ago because of the erratic idle, and they couldn't find anything wrong. Big surprise there! Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Thanks for any help. PL
Old 01-14-2002, 10:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,722 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Default Re: idle problems with 2002 SS

Any codes? SES lights? Tried a-tapping yet?
Old 01-14-2002, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Check your throttle cable and make sure there isn't something going on that would cause the throttle to stick or bind.

Did this happen before you had the lid? Maybe during installation you affected something that controls the idle.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:22 PM
Launching!

get a scanner and check your Idle are control count. Have you ever changed out the TB? The reason I ask is these were the same problems I had when I got a TB and CAM. Of course the cam was a problem but I think the screw on your TB might be in or or too much.
-Jasen
Old 01-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Make sure the Lid is seated on the MAF, and the air inlet hose is correctly installed. This happened to a buddy of mine and that was his problem.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:40 AM
Teching In

No SES lights, and I guess no codes. How do you check for codes though? I don't have A-tap either. The high idle problem started sometime after the lid install, but when I re-installed the factory lid, the problem persisted. I have checked the throttle cable and couldn't see anything wrong with it. When I went to lunch about an hour ago, the car crank and ran fine. After stopping at a friends motorcycle shop, the car would barely idle at around 500 rpm again. I nursed it back to work by giving it throttle to keep it running. By the time I got back to work, it seemed to be OK again. I guess I am going to have to take it back to the dealer again. Thanks, PL