Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI T1 Cam and Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002 | 02:10 PM
Teching In

Default MTI T1 Cam and Nitrous

I've had an NX 100 shot wet kit on my car for quite a while now. When my car had just a lid and Mac headers, I gained about 1.1 second, and 11 mph at the track, and 110 RWHP when spraying. I was satisfied with the gain.
I now have a T1 cam and love it, but it is not a great cam for nitrous use from what I have been hearing. When I bought the cam from MTI, I told them I was spraying an NX 100 shot, and they said it would work well with the T1, and not to worry. My questions is, how bad is this cam for nitrous use? Is it just not as good as other cams with split pattern, more lobe seperation and exhaust duration? Or does it suck so bad that I would be better off with the stock cam when spraying?

I'm asking this because I would like to spray at the track again, but that would totally suck if I only get 50 RWHP out of a 100 shot because this cam sucks so bad for nitrous use. I'll dyno the car again soon, but want to hear from the people here.

So please speak up from experience, or just opinion if you feel like commenting.

Once again, how much does this cam suck for nitrous use?

(I'm posting this here instead of the nitrous forum because this has much to do with cam selection, and I may get more responses here from the greater level of traffic.)
Old 01-19-2002 | 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Default Re: MTI T1 Cam and Nitrous

Roberto, you misinterpreted "suck" to describe this cam for nitrous use. The cam itself does not "suck" for using nitrous on, it just simply means that there are better cams out there that will help out with nitrous, typically split duration cams favoring the exhaust duration. Maybe something like a 221/226 perhaps.

But, HELL NO, your stock cam will not be better for nitrous than a T1. Please do not assume that the T1 cam will not work with nitrous at all, that is far from the truth. It works just fine on nitrous, and you will probably gain more than 100 rwhp with your 100 shot now.

Besides, you are only running a 100 shot right now, so don't worry about changing to another cam suited better for nitrous. I do not ever recommend "building" a motor designed for nitrous unless you are spraying over a 200 rwhp shot into it. Anything less, then focus on the naturally aspirated power and just consider the nitrous as a "bonus" on top of that.

PS, I ran 11.1 @ 130 mph with heads/T1/120 dry kit on drag radials. Best dyno on nitrous was close to 530 rwhp with the T1 back then.

Brooke also ran mid-10s on nitrous with the T1 about 2 years ago. Was the fastest LS1 on the net back then.

Tony
Old 01-20-2002 | 04:15 PM
Teching In

Default Re: MTI T1 Cam and Nitrous

Thanks for the response Tony. I had somewhat of a clue, but there were some naysayers that needed to to hear from some more expeienced LS1 guys than myself.

Now that I have my Cartech clutch in, I'll be making nitrous runs at the track again soon.