Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - temp gauge got high!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - temp gauge got high!

Coming home today, my temp gauge got up to about 240 degrees and stayed there, even with 70 mph cruising at 1700 RPM. This was an abrupt thing, and did not do it yesterday or even earlier today. Fortunately, I was only about two miles from home and got there quickly and shut it down.

What should I check for? The strange thing is that the engine did not seem very hot in the engine bay, and I had none of the usual signs of an engine getting too hot (such as pinging). BTW, the FTRA is not installed on my car right now (trying out a FIPK), so I had no radiator blockage issues to deal with.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2002, 08:37 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Default Re: Help - temp gauge got high!

Did you check your coolant level?
Old 02-23-2002, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah Jason, I did, and it was WAY down. This just shocked the crap out of me because it was fine when I checked it last week (oil, engine running, and everything else seems really normal). Somehow, I am burning coolant, because there are definitely no leaks. The occasional funny smell I am getting from my exhaust really makes me wonder this. Seems like an odd problem, unless it is a gasket leak somewhere or something like that. Whatever the case, I will get in contact with MTI Monday to see what is up with this.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Popped head gasket? Atleast that is what it sounds like, but some of these bore motor have been known to have leaks in the blocks on occasion.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Your block is prob leaking, MTI should tear it down for you & rebuild under their warranty program.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

[quote]Originally posted by Terry Burger:
<strong>Your block is prob leaking, MTI should tear it down for you & rebuild under their warranty program.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope it is nothing that drastic - on another post I found out that the same thing had happened to Jason's 422, and that MTI fixed the problem (which was apparently not that drastic).

Really, really hope it is not that drastic.