Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is balanced and blueprinted and overbore question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is balanced and blueprinted and overbore question.

I believe I have changed my mine about putting a h/c package on my engine. I think I want to build up a ls1 from scratch. Buy a block one month, forged pistons and rods the next, ect. Just a bulletproof motor that can handle a big wet shot or boost. I've built a couple of engines before, not too hard. But how does the assembly get balanced and blueprinted? And if I had the cylinders bored and went with larger pistons, how much would each size increase my displacment?

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: 11 Bravo ]</p>
Old 03-08-2002, 03:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is balanced and blueprinted and overbore question.

Balanced means they take you pistons and crank and balance it, they make sure its perfectly balanced together. If you want the shortblock to literally be bullet proof, get the forged pistons, conecting rods, and a billit or titanium crank. The cranks cost a ton of money but it WONT break. As for over bore, its not even worth it, the engine can't take much of an over bore but when you get a block taken into the machine shop and they fix cylinder taper and out of round they bore it out and make replacements for the stock stuff so the pistons don't slap. Do some research and find out how big the replacement pistons can go and I wouldn't more then that. If you want more cubes a slight over bore and a stroker kit is the way to go, a 400 crank will give you a 383. Just my $.02
Old 03-08-2002, 10:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is balanced and blueprinted and overbore question.

you balance a rotating assembly as a whole, thats whats important. usraly when there say a motor is blue printed there build it closer too spec. there is not much power in Blue printing ingines today, as it use too be. A good forge crank will be all thats really needed it will handle anything you will come up with. A light set of pistons(strong forge)and a good set of rods. And a engine builder that have a clue. and you will be in business.