Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from engine on my 02' Hawk - need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002 | 08:44 AM
Banned

Default Noise from engine on my 02' Hawk - need help!!

I am aware of all the stereotypical noise that these cars make including the piston slap and such. My problem is different. The car is an 02' A4 with 2500 miles. It has FTRA, LID, stock manifolds, Mufflex ORP's, SLP y-pipe, and cat-back. The dyno #'s were 330rwhp/350rwtq corrected laast weekend with 12.4 A/F ratio.

The noise is heard accelerating both cold and especially warm from 1500-1800 or so. It sounds EXACTLY like lifter noise for those of you who know what that sounds like. The guys at the local speed shop say it is normal for some of the A4's to sound like that.

Also, I installed TR6 plugs @ .045 at 1500 miles per the recommendation of the head tech at NGK as I drive the car very hard and live in a warm climate area. I am also running the stock MAF but the car did it as well when I ran ported ende briefly. The battery was unplugged between each round of mods and driven at least 100 miles each time to make sure everything was relearned.

I am absolutely positive the motor is making the noise and either it is normal or the only other thing is that the plugs may be casuing it?

Please help

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-21-2002 | 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Noise from engine on my 02' Hawk - need help!!

Checkout the link below, may be of some help. Sounds like some '02 engines may have gotten past QC.

http://web.camaross.com/bb/Forum9/HTML/006658.html
Old 03-21-2002 | 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Believe it or not, my 2002, and my friends 98 camaro have that same sound. It is from the FTRA. It makes a strange sound when the air is being pulled into the airbox and then transmits that sound from the engine compartment into your cabin.

If you left the stock airbox with baffles on, then you would see that it reduces that noise substantially.

It is the combination of the FTRA and your airlid. Once you get above 1800 RPM with an auto, and around 2000 with an M6, the flutter noise goes away because it is drown out by your engine/exhaust noise.

I have a ton of valvetrain noise now after my aggressive engine head/cam package, but I had that same flutter noise the whole time before the head/cam swap after I got the Ram air and the air lid installed.

Just my .02 and not saying that is exactly what it is, but take a look.

Dan
Old 03-21-2002 | 06:08 PM
Banned

Did the flutter you had sound like lifter noise? I think you may be right however. I don't remember the car making the noise before the install of the FTRA. In fact, I don't even remember that noise when I had the FRA mod done with the airlid and filter. Is the noise just an annoyance or is the FTRA causing additional valvetrain noise?

Is there any proven harm in any cases from running the FTRA or just the annoying noise you described?

I'll probably yank the FTRA off the car and see what it does. Let's say it goes away - should I avoid putting it back on? Is there a possibility that could cause problems?

Thanks

Chris
Old 03-24-2002 | 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Could very well be AIR check valvenoise. Pretty common noise. Not damaging but annoying none the less. Do a search... You can make some restrictor plates to lessen the air flow to the check valves and reduce this noise. I doubt your FTRA is making this noise.
Is the noise kinda of a fast, high pitch clacking sound and only through that small RPM range?

98 Z M6
Runz 11's all day every day

Total Engine Airflow Heads
Comp cam etc etc