Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on selection of new parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Advice on selection of new parts

I wonder is some people can offer advice on my future purchase.

Basically I have an order going through with a sponser. I needed to upgrade my brakes, these braking parts are ready to be despatched. Over the christmas period my company was good enougth to give me a nice christmas bonus. So of course will have to get the girlfrind something like a new computer to keep her happy, she hates me spending money on the car, but I'm going to class these items as essential items to keep the car running, lol, I know I can get away with that on he brakes, but I'll make up something like the old valvetrain is failing.

Anyway, my car is all stock internals. I have pretty much all the bolt-on as you can see in my sig. The car is a 2000 T/A M6, and done 128,000 miles. Thats partly why I want to change the springs etc. Also I want to liven up the car a bit, I dont want a huge huge cam so I have chosen a 224/230-112 with .571/.573 lift with the aid of some software, gives me power under the curve where i want it. I'm not totally set on the cam spec yet, but will be around this figure. I use the car as a daily driver, many short journeys, want to have long valuve spring life so dont want to lift to max of the spring of .650. Also with these rockers can you see any PtV issues with this cam spec?

Is it worth while replacing the stock lifters as they have a lot of mles on them?

I'm not too clued up on the internals, Is there any essential parts I've missed? The Valve Spring kit with the Viton rubber Seals are these also know as Valve Stem Oil Seals?

The parts i have chosen are partly because of price and brand name, and also because they are avaialve form the sponsor I'm getting the braking parts form, I want to order all from one place to save on shipping to the UK.

LS1 Crane Cams Gold Race Rocker Kit 1.7
1.7:1 stock ratio with 3/8” diameter rocker stud.
Kit includes 16 rockers, 16 rocker arm studs, eight pushrod guideplates and 16 chromemoly pushrods.
Ready to install.

Comp Cams High Energy Hydraulic Roller Lifters

LS1 Patriot "Gold" Dual Valve Spring Kit
This kit includes:-
Patriot "Gold" Dual Springs,
Titanium Retainers,
Machined bases (seats),
Super 7 Locks, & Viton Rubber Seals.

SLP Double-Roller Timing Chain Kit
The set contains an adjustable, nine-keyway nitrated crankshaft sprocket; a double-row chain;
a nitrated camshaft sprocket; two oil-pump-spacer plates; detailed instructions;
and all necessary installation hardware. Compatible with all 1997-03 Gen III engines

LS1 Comp Cams "Custom Grind" Cam, something like 224/230-112 .571/.573

LS1 Camshaft Installation Kit
Two Valve cover Gaskets
Two Water Pump Gaskets
One Front Cover Gasket
One Front Cover Crankshaft Seal

Also getting things like:-
LS1 March Performance Dampener Pulley
Catch Can

Looking forward to anyones opinions.....
Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sounds like a decent cam.you could probably just use a set of comp 918 springs with that cam.they should last a very long time also but all in all it is up to you.it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow trap
that sounds like a decent cam.you could probably just use a set of comp 918 springs with that cam.they should last a very long time also but all in all it is up to you.it sounds like you have all your ducks in a row.
So are you saying as my cam dosn't demand much from the spring the 918's will do, or are you saying its not adviseable to run dual springs on a DD with a relitivley mild cam?

Thanks for the input.... its all comes in handy, I'm aiming to order the parts in a day or two.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

THe 918s will hold up well. Either spring is a good choice with that cam. I would not spend the $$ on the rockers. Stock are fine. I run stockers rebuilt by harland sharp. They don't float valves as easy at high RPM or require more spring to contol the valves. 7K+ for me.

If you do keep the rockers in the mix, I would then go dual spring.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lose the rockers and the double roller chain, the LS2 chain works fine.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
THe 918s will hold up well. Either spring is a good choice with that cam. I would not spend the $$ on the rockers. Stock are fine. I run stockers rebuilt by harland sharp. They don't float valves as easy at high RPM or require more spring to contol the valves. 7K+ for me.

If you do keep the rockers in the mix, I would then go dual spring.
The reasoning behind possibly getting new rockers, its that its done almost 130,000 miles. I dont know if they wear out as such, so thought I'd pop in some new ones while I was in there. Is that where the needle bearings come from? not that I've seen any in the oil that I know of. I cant easily get rockers rebuilt over here, so when something wears out I usually get new.

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
Lose the rockers and the double roller chain, the LS2 chain works fine.
Okay I'll go LS2 timing chain and will change to a higher performance oil pump too.

I think I'm almost there now, will choose the exact grind of the cam tommorow night and get it all ordered. Unless someone has any ideas of what else I may need in this install.

Oh... Tools.... These rods that you insert in the end of the heads to hold something up, can a metal rod of a certain diameter be used?
The pully puller I can source locally. I'll look into some cam guides and see what tools I need.