Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/cam combo. Is this a good one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/cam combo. Is this a good one?

So I have a couple of months before I get back to the states from Iraq but I figured I would start getting the parts together so they are waiting for me when I do. I think that I put together a good combo but I wanted some feedback before I lock myself into it. I've been looking at the "Patriot LS6 "Style" Stage III Heads (Assembled 2.08" Intake/1.60" exhaust/64cc)", "LS Series Harland Sharp Shaft Mount 1.8 Non-Adj Roller Rockers", new push rods, new lifters (not sure what I need or want, any advice), a .590”/236º int. 590”/236º exh. camshaft w/112º lobe sep & 112º centerline, "Crane Cams Double Row, Roller Timing Chain Set for LS1" and a ""SDPC Oil Pump, Blue Printed, High Volume, Gen III GM Engines". I know that there are "better" parts and brands out there but I'm on a budget here and with a tune it all comes out to about $5200 which is perfect.

So is this a good set up or not? I'm not that smart when it comes to cams or if the 1.8 rockers will even work with the cam. I know that I might have to mod the valve covers but thats OK by me. The car is and will remain my daily driver but also a weekend racer. What do you guys think?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Selki
So I have a couple of months before I get back to the states from Iraq but I figured I would start getting the parts together so they are waiting for me when I do. I think that I put together a good combo but I wanted some feedback before I lock myself into it. I've been looking at the "Patriot LS6 "Style" Stage III Heads (Assembled 2.08" Intake/1.60" exhaust/64cc)", "LS Series Harland Sharp Shaft Mount 1.8 Non-Adj Roller Rockers", new push rods, new lifters (not sure what I need or want, any advice), a .590”/236º int. 590”/236º exh. camshaft w/112º lobe sep & 112º centerline, "Crane Cams Double Row, Roller Timing Chain Set for LS1" and a ""SDPC Oil Pump, Blue Printed, High Volume, Gen III GM Engines". I know that there are "better" parts and brands out there but I'm on a budget here and with a tune it all comes out to about $5200 which is perfect.

So is this a good set up or not? I'm not that smart when it comes to cams or if the 1.8 rockers will even work with the cam. I know that I might have to mod the valve covers but thats OK by me. The car is and will remain my daily driver but also a weekend racer. What do you guys think?

You don't want or need 1.8 rockers. Keep the stock rockers and maybe have them rebuilt by Harland sharp.

I'd also look at a smaller valved head. 2.08 intake valves are not the best choice for a 3.898" cylinder bore as they are too close to the cylinder wall which causes them to be shrouded.

I'd also save some money by just using a LS2 timing chain.

As far as lifters, new LS7 lifters should work for you.

Also, without looking, I have a hunch that you can come up with a better cam choice. Something like a LSk lobe intake, XER lobe exhaust.... 232/236 .642/.600 112LSA advanced 2-4 degrees (108-110 ICL).

Hammer
Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 AM
On The Tree

Hey thanks. This is why I figured I would ask around here. I do have another question though. What is an "LSk lobe intake" and "XER lobe exhaust"? I know what the intake and ezhaust lobes are and after reading about cams how they work but what dose the LSk & XER stand for?
Again thanks for the info.