Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise at front of valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question Noise at front of valve cover?

Hey guys, there is a noise at the front of my drivers side valve cover that is a tapping/ticking sound. It has been worrying me. It only does it on a completly cold start in the morning, then goes away. I check all around the header to make sure I wasnt just hearing like a small exhaust leak, but thats all fine. The thing that worries me, is I bought my car as H/C and the previous owner did the install himself. Now he is pretty mechanically wise, and is an **** on details, but I still dont trust just one individual. Was wondering if you guys had an idea on what it could be, or could point me in the right direction. Would just pulling off the valve covers give me alot of insight to what it could be? Also can spark plugs make any kind of noise like this? heres some specs on the motor:

Milled Patriot 5.3 Stg II heads w/ Patriot gold springs
TSP 231/237 114 cam.
MAC Midlength headers.

Thanks in advance guys,
Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has the exact same noise that you are talking about. It started after head and cam swap. I pulled valve covers to check springs, pushrods, rockers etc... and nothing. It dosent hurt performance and only makes noise at first start up then goes away. If you find out anything let me know and i will do the same. Good luck
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like to me u both have lifter issues
Old 01-29-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it makes you guys feel any better i have the same noise in the same exact place.mine comes and goes but is worse on a cold start.i was thinking lifters too but haven't had the time to check yet.the car is going for a compression and leakdown test next week so i guess i'll find out soon enough
Old 01-29-2007, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...possilby piston slap?

Front drivers side is Piston #1, which normally is the piston most likely to slap.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, but it is coming from DIRECTLY under the valve cover. I mean even when you put your ear next to the valve cover, you can hear it is like right next to your ear. Know what I mean? Well I was thinking about doing a different cam, so if/when I have it apart I will check it out. I was also thinking about trying some kind of different oil. Is everyone using mobil 1 syn? I am not, I bought my car semi-recently, and dont get to drive it alot, so have only had to do 2 oil changes. The previous owner used conventional oil, so the first time I changed it I went with a blend, and then next one went with pennzoil platinum full synthetic cause it was like buy one get on free at the time. lol I am getting mobil 1 next time, I will see hopefully then. Anymore ideas? Thanks guys,
Old 01-29-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same here but i use 0w30 gc and its not piston slap i know what that sounds like. Its not rockers, springs, pushrods. I was also thinking lifter but the noise is too close to the top and the noise is not coming from lifter area. I will be switching heads soon and im going to run some new lifters just to be sure.