Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing cam in a Z06, have technical question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing cam in a Z06, have technical question..

For any of you who have installed a cam in a 97-02 vette, please see if you can help me here. The problem im having is: I got the ac condensor out, radiator out, all the tubing up to the throttle body is out. My next step would be to remove the harmonic balancer, but i can't. The rack and pinion is right in front of it. I saw 2 19mm bolts that hold it on there, but i removed them and it didn't budge. Can some one help me here? We took the tires off, removed the tie-rod ends, but that got us no where. I can't belive that this is stoping me from finishing my job. Changing the cam in my camaro seemed easier. Thanks
Old 05-29-2002, 08:31 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installing cam in a Z06, have technical question..

Changing the cam in an f-body is way easier than in a ybody.

Maybe this thread will help you, it has a link in it to a real basic writeup on removing the rack

https://ls1tech.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ulti...;f=17;t=000221
Old 05-29-2002, 08:34 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Installing cam in a Z06, have technical question..

I have asked this question before but didn't really get any good answers. I did a pulley on a buddy's Vette a while back, and yes you have to remove the rack. I do not clearly remember what I did, I was in a pretty big hurry. You have to disconnect the lines goin to the pump, 2 19 mm bolts, and there are also some bolts going to the K-member holding it still if I remember correctly..Check for other bolts holding it down, I remember taking off 6 bolts or so. Wish I could be of more help, but it's not that big of a job. Good luck

Josh