Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone using cometic gaskets? overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone using cometic gaskets? overheating

I am having an overheating problem that maybe someone can help with. My head gaskets are from cometic and didnt say "this side up" or "front".....said nothing. i wonder if it matters because this is all i can figure is wrong. I dont have bubbles in my coolant.....not steaming out the back but runs hot as soon as you strat driving it. I removed the guts of the stat to make sure i have flow but that changed nothing
Old 05-31-2002, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: anyone using cometic gaskets? overheating

well i have almost the same problem where the oil and water started mixing toghter after switching to cometic gaskets and also water started blowing out of the radatior would just build pressure up. So i would also want to know if anyone else might have had this same problem with cometic gaskets?
Old 05-31-2002, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

mine is not mixing...just running hot...like there is an pocket but i assure you there is not.
i'm losing my mind dealing with this thing
Old 05-31-2002, 07:09 PM
Ken
TECH Regular

I use these gaskets.

They are both the exact same gaskets left and right.

You have to make sure you put the big water port holes to the back of the motor.

I have many miles on my motor and took a 50 mile trip out of town one time and it does not over heat at all.

Ken
Old 05-31-2002, 07:36 PM
9 Second Club

Ken thanks for the info. I did NOT pay attention to which way I put the head gaskets on since they weren't labled. If i have them flip flopped, this is probably whats causing my overheating. The more rpms i turn the hotter it gets. I am pulling the motor in the morning...pullling heads...checking gaskets and reassembling. You can reuse the cometic gaskets if you recoat them using some copper gasket spray. Already worked once for me. Jason at cometic told me this and it works!! I hope this is my problem as I have eliminated every other possibility except for some kind of blockage. Seems the gasket flipped over wrong would indeed be a blockage
Old 06-01-2002, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

i wouldnt resure them cause you will end up moving the gasket to diffrent location. and it may not seal up. dont forget to watch for those big water jacket holes they are supposed to be in the back.