Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terminator Heads WARNING...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Good info on here.. but with any new product, things like this sometimes don't get out to the public until someone has a problem.

I'm sure that tsp didnt' intentionally not tell anyone about it, that just doesn't seem right.

A better question would be why did edlebrock not drill the hole so the factory bolt will work without cutting? Unless it's for added strenth around that part of the head, I can't see any reason why the hole is a little shallow.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know we ran into this issue when we did the testing on the first set of heads, we trimmed down the rocker bolts and havent had any problems since, the edelbrocks are still a very good head, we have had good results on the cars we have installed them on so far
Old 02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chef,

Did you verify that your intake runners lined up properly with the Edlebrock intake ports? I know the Fast intake has issues, but I'm just curious about the LS6.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Chef,

Did you verify that your intake runners lined up properly with the Edlebrock intake ports? I know the Fast intake has issues, but I'm just curious about the LS6.

we did not encounter any problem with the ls6 intake, when i switch to the fast intake i will look into that to see if there is a issue
Old 02-15-2007, 07:29 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
This explains why my friggin coolant pipe were leaking. DAMN!@! Seems like TSP didnt really do their homework on these heads before selling them. I'm somewhat disappointed.
Being that I installed the first set of Terminators ever (On TRMIN8R's car) and I didn't know about any issues beforehand, the 2 things I mentioned were extremely easy to spot during the install and I wasn't looking. Like I said, I just replaced the exh. rocker bolts with slightly shorter ones and moved on.

Any that I've installed never had problems.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

I think he's referring to the ones you SELL, not the ones you install. It doesn't make sense to sell them with a flaw and then come off with that attitude like "Well the ones I install are good" when you know that everyone buying them will most likely only be installing them once. And if the problem was so obvious on the very first set of heads, why didn't you tell the customers when they purchased them? That would've been much more customer-friendly of you.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
Being that I installed the first set of Terminators ever (On TRMIN8R's car) and I didn't know about any issues beforehand, the 2 things I mentioned were extremely easy to spot during the install and I wasn't looking. Like I said, I just replaced the exh. rocker bolts with slightly shorter ones and moved on.

Well, I'm sorry it wasn't that obvious to me on the set my wife and I installed on 99WS7's car. The rocker arm issue and the coolant plugs all seemed to tightened down fine. The coolant plugs tightened down and didn't move as did the rockers.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by N4cer
I think he's referring to the ones you SELL, not the ones you install. It doesn't make sense to sell them with a flaw and then come off with that attitude like "Well the ones I install are good" when you know that everyone buying them will most likely only be installing them once. And if the problem was so obvious on the very first set of heads, why didn't you tell the customers when they purchased them? That would've been much more customer-friendly of you.
I've never sold any heads myself...ever, nor do I talk to any customers unless its extremely important. I install parts when time permits and in my free time I'm nice and answer easy questions on LS1tech, which isn't as often as I'd prefer. Maybe I should have passed this one up as I do the many others you post in... Like I said, there have been no problems here, maybe I have better eyes than most, or rather...a better working knowledge of engine components. Not every part that bolts-on is a true "bolt-on" in every form, sometimes you have to think a little on your own if installing something unfamiliar.

Brian, I know you do tons of installs, its possible yours didn't have any obvious problems until heat cycled. I read in GMHTP (the article chef discussed) that Edelbrock revised the casting to use stock bolts, but I havn't seen any myself just yet. I didn't measure them, but it seems the rockers would rotate CW and CCW pivoting on the rocker bolt itself if they bottomed out, I havn't seen any damage firsthand from running an engine using stock rocker bolts.

Last edited by -Joseph-; 02-15-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Joseph-

Well to be honest I forgot to put the plugs in the back so I had to reach back there after it was all assembled and do it by brail. The rockers seemed to be a little funny. I had to hold them harder than usual to get them to stay in place but they did torque down with out movement. I'll be looking at them as soon as I can of course.
I did my motor swap under all the wrong conditions and forgot a few things as a result. In retrospect it was a mistake but you live and learn. I had to do what I had to do and it wasnt the ideal way a swap should be done.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Well to be honest I forgot to put the plugs in the back so I had to reach back there after it was all assembled and do it by brail.
I've had to do that a few times as well, I'm getting better at it. I can even do the oil sender without pulling the intake now.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N4cer
Like I've said before, theres paperwork that comes with the heads in one of the boxes they come in and its from EB, and it states that you will need to either shorten your stock rocker bolts or buy new ones. So its more a matter of opening your eyes and look at things that come in the boxes.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Like I've said before, theres paperwork that comes with the heads in one of the boxes they come in and its from EB, and it states that you will need to either shorten your stock rocker bolts or buy new ones. So its more a matter of opening your eyes and look at things that come in the boxes.
Not in my box. Nothing but plastic and bubble wrap.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI a little bit of background on the rocker bolt issue. The original bolt hole was determined by Lingenfelter because they didn't want the hole to intersect the port roof such as what happens when porting a production head. Also, the helicoil insert was installed to the full length of the bolt hole and caused major damage to our CNC tooling when it ran into the coils. I complained loudly about it when I discovered the problem. Thereafter I had to remove the intake helicoils, drill the holes deeper, CNC the heads and then reinstall a shorter insert. Needless to say it was a royal pain in the ****! Edelbrock subsequently fixed the hole depth problem and installed a shorter helicoil in the intake bolt hole.
I feel for anyone who got tripped up by this situation. Edelbrock should have provided new shorter bolts with the heads and that would have saved a bunch of trouble. At least now all the new castings we're getting have the bolt hole the correct depth, but I still physically check each head to make absolutely sure there won't be a problem.

Richard
Old 02-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
There was no paperwork that came with these heads either. Just the box, styrofoam, and plastic wrapping. All this is good information though for future reference.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Yup...as Brian stated...no paperwork. And also as he stated....good info. I didn't make the thread to bitch at anyone...just for others to know what to look for IF they don't get the paperwork has some have mentioned.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Just an update. I finally got my new retainer the other day so we were finally able to replace it and move on. The retainer that was damaged actually was worse then I thought. I called TSP today and told them what I found so they know about it. Anyway, though I would post a few pics...

Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Teching In

^ whoa! please tell me you found that piece of metal that is missing in that picture! that could do some serious damage lol
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Launching!

The piece of titanium that is missing is probably in the oil pan. Unfortunately, of course, titanium is not magnetic either.

The screen should prevent it from entering the oil pump and doing serious harm.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

I'd drain the oil and see if it comes out. If not, I wouldn't drive the car til I pulled the pan to find it.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Wow! I put the terminator heads on my car and it ran REALLY bad. So bad that I had the car towed to a shop to have them look at it. To make a long, painful story short I have had the lower end rebuilt forged (didn't know the history) and it still doesn't run. The shop I have it at is very reputable - I thought that pushrod length might have been too long but now this is additional info. I am running Harland Sharp 1.8's so rocker tip alignment might look OK because the intake and exhaust are joined with a 1/4" shaft. I'll pass this info on to the shop. I received no info with the heads about this.

Thanks