Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift vs. duration

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:12 AM
Conversion master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lift vs. duration

For the same lift, what does more duration do?

For the same duration, what does more lift do?
Old 06-28-2002, 04:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lift vs. duration

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 70 LS1:
<strong>For the same lift, what does more duration do?

For the same duration, what does more lift do?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am not sure what your asking but I am going with .600/.600 lift on my next cam now I just have to figure out the duration part and lsa for my power band.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 70 LS1:
<strong>For the same lift, what does more duration do?

For the same duration, what does more lift do?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Duration is the degrees of camshaft rotation that the valve is held off of the seat. If you have more duration while holding lift constant, then you're not opening the valve anymore than you were before. You're just holding it open longer.

If you hold duration constant and increase lift, then it's just the opposite. You're not holding the valve open any longer than you were before; you're just opening it more while the valve is off of the seat. Providing you use the stock 1.7 rockers for both comparisons and don't get your added lift from a set of higher ratio rockers (which will add a slight amount of duration, but not enough to notice), it will take a more aggressive lobe profile to open and close the valve at the exact same time as you did with the cam with lower lift.

<small>[ June 28, 2002, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Trevor D ]</small>
Old 06-28-2002, 01:48 PM
Conversion master

So, how does this affect performance?

What perfomance differences would there be between a high lift, low duration cam and a low lift long duration cam?
Old 06-28-2002, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Simplified answers:

Increasing lift and duration increase the power a motor can make. The realistic power potential potential from increasing lift is less than increasing duration.

Increasing lift has little negative impact on drivability, but it is harder on the valvetrain. Increasing lift is limited by the piston to valve clearance.

Increasing duration creates more power, but drivability is eventually diminished and emissions increase. Increasing duration tends to shift the power band up into the higher rpm range too.

Quick Reply: lift vs. duration