Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on dropping engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on dropping engine

I wrecked earlier this year. I'm pulling the drivetrain and need tips on pulling the engine. I've done most everything else including the transmission on the floor of my garage.

What about the engine? Any tips?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tips on dropping engine

how are you gona drop an engine on the floor ? you need to lift the body pretty hight to clear it.

i recomend using a lift and droping thr engine/tranny /front suspention at one time then seperate. it took 3 of us 5 hours to unbolt everything and drop mine.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:03 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Do it the old fashioned way....from the top. I can remove an engine from an F-body in three hrs.

Remove the tranny, pull the radiator and hoses, disconnect all electrical connections, especially the battery, remove the manifolds or headers, remove the AC compressor and bracket, pull the starter, remove the PS pump, remove the alternator, disconnect the fuel lines, pull the intake, remove the coils, don't forget the ground wires on the back of the drivers side head, bolt a chain to the heads, start cranking up on the hoist just enough to take the tension of the motor mount bolts, remove the motor mount bolts and start cranking it up, it's always a good idea to have a 2nd person around to help steady the engine and to keep an eye out to make sure nothing gets hung up.

Good luck!

<small>[ July 22, 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Richie Carbone ]</small>
Old 07-23-2002, 07:12 AM
9 Second Club

Do it from the bottom. I dropped mine, last time, in 2 hours with hand tools by myself. You will need a lift.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, all. Did it yesterday with a little help from a friend and my son. Dropping the K-member was relatively easy using 3 jacks under the k-member and transmission. We lifted the front a little with an engine crane to get clearance (but with a wreck you're not so worried about chassis dimensions being messed up).

Sorry to drop it out, but after the wreck I need to get things stripped and bring the whole mess to closure. Next order of business is to find something to put this baby in.

So here's the next question...where can I find 3 1/2" to 4" grade 8 (metric 10.8) bolts to mount the engine bellhousing end on a four-point stand? My son tried all the reputable hardware and specialty stores today, but came up empty handed. The engine is currently mounted on the stand with grade 5 bolts (8.8 metric is grade 5, but stupid me didn't know that) with a couple of 4x4's under the front to keep some of the weight of the bolts.

Thanks!