Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Problems..... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Problems..... Help!

Okay, a buddy of mine that has all bolt ons, and a cam, with comp 918's has developed a problem. Here it goes:

When the car starts, it had a loud knocking/tapping sound, sounds like metal on metal coming from the inside of the engine.... It is kicking NO codes, idles fine, pushrods are fine, lifters are working.... What could it be? It is a VERY AUDIBLE NOISE. We are clueless on what it could be.... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
TJ
Old 07-31-2002, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Engine Problems..... Help!

Broken spring or broken lifter.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

drain the oil and look at that...possibly worn bearing...

If oil looks good then possibly collapsed lifter?
Old 08-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Teching In

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by thebadbat:
<strong>Okay, a buddy of mine that has all bolt ons, and a cam, with comp 918's has developed a problem. Here it goes:

When the car starts, it had a loud knocking/tapping sound, sounds like metal on metal coming from the inside of the engine.... It is kicking NO codes, idles fine, pushrods are fine, lifters are working.... What could it be? It is a VERY AUDIBLE NOISE. We are clueless on what it could be.... Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
TJ</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mine did the EXACT same thing... with the same symptoms! When we pulled the heads, what we found were two broken stock lifters (falling apart actually!) that chewed up some of the lobes on my T1 cam (material was actually missing!). There were also tiny pieces of metal welded on the top of one of my pistons (probably from my worn out valve guides -see below-). DO NOT RUN IT ANYMORE!!! In my case, the cam, main, and rod bearings were perfectly fine, thank god. We cleaned up the top of the piston, replaced the cam with a slightly bigger one, and swapped the heads out with 5.3's since a couple of my valve guides were worn badly and we didn't have time to wait for a set of heads with new guides pressed in.
All is good now... I hope it will be the same for you.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

how do you test a lifter?(once it is removed)