Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Install on ADJ Timing Chain????

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install on ADJ Timing Chain????

I have a GTP 330 cam. I thought you installed them straight up dot to dot. WRONG, it needs to be degreed in.

Anyway I have bought an SLP adjustable timing chain to degree the cam in. I wanted to know if I could do this myself with a degree wheel and a micrometer???

Do I need a press to get the timing chain on?????
Old 08-06-2002, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Install on ADJ Timing Chain????

who says the cam needs degreed? dont you have the manufacturers cam info data card? i have found that cams of late are ground very dam close to whats on the card. you will find that degreeing it will be merely for reference only. still wont hurt to degree it as a learning experience. yes, install it straight up in the LS1. the only part of the timing set that you may have to 'tap' on is the crank gear. use a piece of wood and a shop hammer to get it onto the crank key. rest of the install is nuts and bolts.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Install on ADJ Timing Chain????

Actually my cam is a regrind. I was not told my cam was a regrind and I was not sent a spec card. I told them I wanted a T1 cam. What I got was GTP's version. I thought it would be exactly the same. It was not. No one told me this when I bought it. I guess I was supposed to know this. I should have waited for spec card to install the cam, but I was impatient and figured it was exactly like a T1. It was not. I ordered the cam through Elite Motorsports in Houston, Tx. I am not upset with GTP. They did what elite asked. Elite is the one who screwed me. I told them the only reason I was buying there cam was because it was cheaper than MTI. Well now I have had to buy an ADJ timing chain. That has made it about $100 more than a T1. Not cheaper. Elite basically told me sorry go away please.

I was told the reason I have to degree my cam is because you can not grind the advance into a regrind. MTI, Thunder, ARE, and all the big boys grind the advance into the cam so you do not degree it. You just line there cams up dot to dot. Nice and easy. Well that is what I thought I was getting, but I did not.

I have the cam in the car now lined up dot to dot. I just called GTP and they say I do not need a press to put the timing chain on.

Does anyone know how I would be able to tell what degree the cam is at lined up dot to dot? That way I could just put the timing chain on and degree it + or -.

I was told all I would need is a degree wheel.

My question is:
I will pull the stock timing chain off and use the degree wheel to find out what degree the cam is at. Then install adjustable timing chain and degree it accordingly + or -.

Is this correct????