Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain

Hey guys im lookin to go with a G5x4 and i konw that im gonna replace the oil pump and timing chain so my question is i have been looking at double rollers because thats what was recommended to me. However, is there anything special that has to be done when you install a double roller vs. just a single chain. also do i have to do a double roller or will a single roller stretch and wear out quick with a cam of that size....

Thanks for your help
Old 02-27-2007, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Save yourself some hassle and some money and get a LS2 chain for $28 and be done with it..a double roller whould be nice on a race only engine but for a street car with occasional trips to the strip the LS2 chain will be just fine..it is a much better chain than the LS1 chain..cams don't wear out timing chains..lenght of service is what wears them out..you will have to use some spacers if you go the double roller route..
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YellowMonster87
Hey guys im lookin to go with a G5x4 and i konw that im gonna replace the oil pump and timing chain so my question is i have been looking at double rollers because thats what was recommended to me. However, is there anything special that has to be done when you install a double roller vs. just a single chain. also do i have to do a double roller or will a single roller stretch and wear out quick with a cam of that size....

Thanks for your help

IF I AM NOT MISTAKEN I THINK THAT YOU HAVE TO MODIFY THE CRANK PULLEY TO MAKE SURE IT WILL FIT ALL THE WAY UP AGAINST THE CRANK SPROCKET AND SEAL ON THE TIMING CHAIN COVER. I MAY BE SLIGHTLY OFF BUT I THINK I GOT MOST OF IT. YOU HAVE TO MODIFY FOR THE WIDTH OF THE DOUBLE ROLLER!!!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I said the LS2 chain is your friend and you cant beat the price..I have 43,000 miles on one running a 233/233 595/595 112 stick ..
Old 02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

I really like my adjustable cloyes timing set. It is the easiest timing set to use for advancing or degreeing a cam. I recommened it. But if you want to go cheaper and strong just get a new LS2 chain and call it a day.

Double roller chains are really not needed on anything short of a full blown race engine. How many stories have you heard of a single chain on an LS1 actually breaking? few if any.

With the doubles some people have fitment issues with the oil pump and timing cover being in the way and rubbing.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

I have a double roller chain and it fit just fine. I bought it before the LS2's were out. I wouild buy an LS2 now a days. For the price.

Depends on how much you want to spend.