Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild or Shortblock?????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild or Shortblock?????????

Ok guys I need some prices for a friend. We pulled the motor out of his 98Z and found that he had stacked a rod bearing.
My question is what do you need to rebuild it????
I have heard that the ls1 cyclinders cannot be honed....is that true??
I REALLLY need some prices on parts... I know i can get a 2002 long block for 3200 but i am not too sure what the insurance company is going to want to do.
Thanks Jeff
Old 08-12-2002, 10:11 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Default Re: Rebuild or Shortblock?????????

The LS1s can be honed, but cannot be bored much at all due to the thin sleeves.

Depending on how far you want to go with the motor, you have a few options.

If you are looking to still use stock pistons,rods,etc., then you can easily have one rebuilt for less than $1000. Just purchase some new bearings, rings and have the crank turned along with some gasket/bolts.

You could upgrade to a set of forged pistons and use stock rods for an extra $650 or so. Then, you are looking into some extra machine work there and balancing, so the machine shop labor does go up as well.

Jason
Old 08-12-2002, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Default Re: Rebuild or Shortblock?????????

you dont think that a new crank would be needed.
the insurance company is coming to look at it in the morning and I am going to try and convince then to let me get a new short or long block.
It is a friends car and it is in my dads shop. he has his on auto repair shop...anyways we go by the chilton's labor guide and it says that it is pays like 38.3 hours to rebiuld it and like 16.4 to replace the motor. So labor on rebiulding it would be like $2200++ and on replacing it would be like $1000. Now those figures is what the insurance company is going by just for labor not parts. I was told that it would need a new crank and one rod and some more stuff. I am trying to figure out how close each other are price wise.
the new long block is $3200+labor of about 900-1000 and the rebiuld is goingto be like 2200+ parts..
so do you think that parts will be like 1500 or what...now remember these parts will come from the local dealer b/c that is what insurance pays for is dealer prices.