Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP double roller will reduce topend power right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2002, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP double roller will reduce topend power right?

It seems to me that compared to a single roller timing chain setup, a beefy double roller like the SLP unit will experience much less timing chain stretch (almost none actually) and therefore will not have a retarding affect on the valve timing at higher rpms where a single-roller would stretch enough to cause the intake valve to start opening later. Theoretically this would result in less power up top and the peak to come down slightly, almost as if the cam had less intake duration when compared to the single-roller setup. The trade-off is obviously reliability.

So the question is should cars with built motors go with 2 or 3 degrees of advance ground in instead of the usual 4 to account for the lack of stretch in a double-roller chain?
Old 08-14-2002, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: SLP double roller will reduce topend power right?

TTT
Old 08-14-2002, 08:21 PM
wrencher

High lift high stress = double roller. Next make sure you have all the specs on the cam including degree of advance ground in and then degree the cam in. Engine builders/tuners can give you a dail-in for your cam other than installed strait up. It all depends on your needs/wants but if you blindly install cam and it is not opening&closing exactly as cam card says, don't expect the power band of the cam to be what the card says. Lots of usefull power can be found in advancing/retarding cams but you can lose as much or more if ya don't know what your doing.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wrencher: I understand the affect of advancing or retarding my cam. My question was should the cam be ground with only two or three degrees of advance since there is much mess timing chain stretch at high rpms?
Old 08-15-2002, 08:39 PM
wrencher

Cam companies put alot into their research. Double chain should'nt change amount of play between cam&crank , only gear drives give you no slack. When you degree the cam you will see it,s 1-4 degrees off from what the cam card says so you adjust the cam accordingly. ( have to know degree adv. ground in) Single or double almost exactly the same amount of back-lash (tiny amount like less than 1/2 degree) the cam will work the same either way. But your crazy not to run a double chain w/.525 lift or more. If you want top of the line in cam timing go gear drive, but I'd just go double with a motor build.