Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pump?

I've got a 2001 Formula with a hair over 10k miles on it. The stock oil pressure guage shows me having just under 60psi at idle when the motor is cold, and nearly pegs it when it is at WOT when cold. When the motor is HOT (guage shows just under 210 degrees, outside temp about 95) the oil pressure needle hobbles around RIGHT at 40psi. Then anything over idle pushes up to the need just under 60psi.

I'm starting to peice together all the stuff for my cam install and I'm down to just deciding on the oil pump and timing chain. I see some people swapping to the 01/02 oil pump when they do a cam. Is it fine to see 6600rpm (as high as I really want to go)? Would it be ok to leave the stock 01 pump in, or should I really go ahead and get a ported unit?

As for timing chain. I'm not entirely clear on the install of it. I see alot of people just replacing the chain with a JWIS chain. Does the oil pump have to be removed to change out just the chain? Or only when you are changing the crank sprocket? I'm figuring that If I need to pull the oil pump, I will go ahead and replace the oil pump, chain and gears with a ported unit and the extremely beefy SLP Double roller setup.

This car is my daily driver, and sees 1 to 2 trips to the track each month during the cooler months.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 08-17-2002, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Oil pump?

IMO you should do at minimum a Rollmaster single row chain/gears. Your '01 pump will be the best stock unit available, but if you pull the crank gear you'll have to remove the oil pump anyway. Doing all this while doing the cam change really makes sense.

I'd recommend the following:
1) Rollmaster single or double (same as SLP) row chain with gears (contact HOWQUICK in Australia for a great price on either of these sets - I think you'll be impressed - his email is streetquick@bigpond.com )
2) Katech ported pump

You should be able to get both for under $250.

HTH
Old 08-18-2002, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

What he said
Old 08-20-2002, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the double rollamaster from howquick (extremely fast shipper btw) and got the katech ported oil pump from thunder racing. (already had an order going with them anyways, was only 20 bucks more than katech direct).