Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing coolant?

I recently installed a 160 thermostat and today the temp was jumpy and was rising above normal running temp when i was at stop lights. I let the car cool down and opened up the radiator cap. But when i did this the plastic part of the cap disconnected from the metal. And the plastic had alot of coolant on it. Also coolant on the battery and surround area around the cap. But there was almost no water in the radiator. I checked around the thermostat and coolant lines and there are no leaks so it has to be from the cap. Could most of the water evaporate in a week from just the cap. Also the cap was on tight. Could i of broke it when the plastic part of the cap disconnected from the metal during the thermostat install. Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Missing coolant?

ttt
Old 08-20-2002, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm having a hard time picturing what you're trying to describe with the radiator cap. But... it sounds like you may indeed have a bad cap, which would allow coolant to escape from around the cap when the car heats up and coolant pressure starts to rise.

Go to your local auto parts store and pick up a generic 18psi radiator cap to replace your broken one, and see if that takes care of your problem.
Old 08-20-2002, 01:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,164 Likes on 757 Posts

Hello fellow Chicagoan....

1) Wipe off all the mess in the engine compartment so you can see if it's happening again.
2) Fill the coolant when the car is cold, and leave the cap off for a bit and idle the car for five minutes and top if off as needed, and it will. I typically idle the car until the thermostat opens and top it off that way.
3) Then I put the cap on.
Old 08-21-2002, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright sounds like a plan. I will have my dad bring one home from work and see if that is the problem.