Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oils..

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Oils..

Anybody have a link to a good standadize test of all the Synthetic's? I heard Mobile's 1 new formula isn't nearly as good. Also Friend of mine with a Blown 99 Cobra, just told me he put Supertech (yeh that Wal mart oil), Synthetic in his car, and I thought he was joking.. He said there all the same, and got tired of paying $$ for Mobile 1, but Mobile 1 has been great for me and I was always taught you get what you pay for... Anybody actually know who owns or produces supertech??
Old 08-26-2002, 04:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Synthetic Oils..

Supertech oil used to be by Quaker State in the past, but Walmart changes suppliers frequently so you never know for sure what you are getting.

The new Mobil 1 is actually starting to prove itself to be very good! The initial rumors made it sound bad, and I admit I had my reservations as well, based on some informal testing a friend of mine did on an early SuperSyn batch.

But I have since seen an analysis comparison between TriSyn and SuperSyn in the same car and it looked considerably better (some of the wear metals were half that of the TriSyn!) I also saw a virgin analysis of unused SuperSyn and found out it contains 88ppm of moly. That's a small amount, but just might be enough to make a difference. I have a feeling the early batches of SuperSyn didn't get moly though, that Mobil 1 realized that they needed to add it due to them taking their zinc and phosphorus levels down so much.

By the way, there is a difference in synthetics when it comes to Mobil 1 vs the rest of the store bought oils. Mobil 1 is the only real synthetic left on the shelves. The others use a hydrocracked petroleum base oil. Amsoil and Redline are full synthetics too of course (but you won't find those at Kmart)

I stand by what I have said earlier though, if you are changing your oil every 3k anyways, you're getting very little benefits out of synthetics. If you're using synthetic (a real synthetic that is, not Castrol Syntec, etc.) you should at least extend your interval to 5 or 6k to get your money's worth.