Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Questions...

I have just a few questions to ask about a cam that I'm interested in and if it will work fine in my setup and what I can get by on. I"m on a college budget and will slowly aquire more things as time goes on but for now would like to know if my plans are possible or not. Here are some questions and if you could just reply in the numbered order with simple yes or no answers and maybe a brief description of the nos that would be great. Basically I don't want to ever spin my stock bottom end higher than 6,500rpm due to the weaker rod bolts I've read about on my 98 so let me know about this.

Questions:
My Cam Selection as of know: TR 224/224 .563 .563

1. Can I use the stock oil pump or is it a must to upgrade to an ls6 or a new one?
2. Will Comp 918's be fine with this cam? *I plan on moving to ls6 243's and PP Dual Springs when money allows*
3. Will this cam make good mid-range and top end up to around 6,500rpm? Is the low end weak?
4. What changes do you prefer with maintenance after a cam installation? Oil changes at under 3,000 mile intervals?
5. Do you believe I can achieve my swap succesfully by only swapping out the cam,springs and timing chain?
6. Are pushrods a must for this cam?
7. How long can I run untuned and is it dangerous to do so?
8. What is your opinion on the purchasing of used cams...yes or no?
9. What is your opinion on the purchase of used oil pumps...yes or no?
10. Will the 112lsa associated with many of the cams in this grind be choppy but streetable?

At the time of installation in addition to my mods in the signature I will have:

Hooker Lt's w/ Ory Pipe
Slp Air Lid
Poly Motor Mounts

All else will be as described in signature and if not noted in signature then the part is completey stock for the year of 1998 on an Ls1.

Thanks so much again,

Josh
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You can use the stock one, but for the money its wise to at least get a stock LS6 pump. If you were an 01/02 I would say don't change it.
2. 918s will be very good with that cam, even with the new heads double springs won't be necassary.
3. It's one of the best cams for all around performance. The low end will definately not be weak.
4. Check the springs every 15k or so. Oil changes as you always did b4 the cam.
5. no
6. yes
7. Its not that big a deal, just dont beat on it til you see the A/F is safe.
8. yes, although I have always bought new
9. I would just get a new one unless I personally knew the person and how old it was.
10. yes, you'll know its not stock but it will be easily tuned for great drivabilty
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx for the input man...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. yes you can, if you want to take your chances - but the LS2/LS4/LS6 oil pump is better and cheap insurance
2. yes, 918's are good for .600 lift
3. 224/224 cams are about the best compromise between low-end and top-end, should carry it well to 6500, but that is all the farther I would go on a 98 without swapping rod bolts
4. oil change intervals shouldn't change from stock unless you are beating the hell out of it or changing the driving style. If you do lots of city, stop-n-go driving, you'll want to change it sooner than if you do a lot of highway driving
5. yes, but an oil pump is not that much
6. Thunder can tell you best, but most aftermarket cams have a smaller base circle, and therefore require longer pushrods to keep lifter preload in check
7. depends on how far off it is, and how driveable it is without a tune. Probably be ok for a while since you have manual, but tuning adds hp too. Talk with thunder about the possibility of a mail order tune
8. there are bargains to be had out there, but thats a tough call
9. just get an LS4 oil pump, they aren't that much, but they're better than a stock 98 pump
10. 112 lsa will need a tune sooner since there are 4 degrees more overlap, but should be fine
Old 03-06-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running stock oil pump and timing chain.. (i have an 01'), your going to need hardended pushrods with that cam i believe. and the 918s are perfect. i ran them with my .595/.598 cam for 10k miles. and IMO dont buy a used cam, im actually running used heads but i think a cam should be perfecto! i also drove around with my car untuned for a while, on a bigger cam then yours so you should be fine. and im not sure how the lsa could affect street manners? your car will feel great.. if anything your going to wish you went bigger