Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rod bearing question

I changed out my rod bolts to ARP Wav Loc bolts. When I took the caps off to get the ferules out, all of the rod bearings looked good. All of the bearings were firmly pressed into the caps, except one. Is this something to be concerned about? The bearing was just laying on the crank journal. I'm just concerned that if it isn't firmly in the cap that it'll spin. Am I worrying about nothing?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Nothing to worry about. Although you should have thrown in some new ones while you're there. They're cheap.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I considered it, but the shortblock only has 30K miles on it. I'm planning on putting a 408 in the car at the end of the summer using a different block, so I figured I'd just keep the bearings that were in there since all of them looked good. Thanks for the reply. I just don't want to put this back in the car only to spin a bearing.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

If you put everything back together right and torqued to recommended spec, you should be okay. A little assembly lube on the bearings wouldn't hurt. The red Permatex stuff is good.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I changed out my rod bolts to ARP Wav Loc bolts. When I took the caps off to get the ferules out, all of the rod bearings looked good. All of the bearings were firmly pressed into the caps, except one. Is this something to be concerned about? The bearing was just laying on the crank journal. I'm just concerned that if it isn't firmly in the cap that it'll spin. Am I worrying about nothing?
just curious was it hard to change them out?how long did it take?Do you know waht a shop would charge to do this?Im gonna do a stroker eventually.Right now im H/C and was gonna throw a 75-100 shot on it and want to make sure the bottom will hold till i stroke it.Been reading alot of threads of rod bearings spinning and been kinda worried about throwing N20 at it
Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

It wasn't hard because I have the block on a stand. I dropped the drivetrain out of the car back in October. It's going back in the car next weekend. I would imagine it's got to be really difficult with the motor in the car. Oh, and I've been spraying the car for 4 years now, stock bottom end, no problems. Was running a 150 shot last year.

I followed the torque procedure that came with the ARP bolts.