Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

excessive smoke on decel

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2002 | 08:34 PM
Teching In

Default excessive smoke on decel

A while back several people were commenting on excessive smoke after cam or h/c install. The general concensus was valve guides/seals.Just currious what everyone found. I have a stock head cam car that only smokes on decel, real bad.It doesn't even hint to smoke on accel or the dyno till you lift. Just started this week. Great power.Has valve seals fixed this.

<small>[ September 08, 2002, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: midwest ]</small>
Old 09-09-2002 | 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: excessive smoke on decel

I am still waiting on these results also.
Old 09-09-2002 | 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

More than likely it is your PCV system. With the stock PCV, my car would puff quite a bit when I shifted and that was with new valve seals. I switched to the LS6 PCV and that mod eliminated about 90% of the smoke when shifting at 6500RPM.(It doesn't smoke at all at 6000rpm or lower) My car will still occasionally puff a little at high rpms but nothing like before and I am planning on installing some sort of catch can system with the LS6 PCV which I am hoping will keep any oil from going into the intake what so ever.
Old 09-09-2002 | 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Mine would smoke on decel when I still had stock heads. Even creeping forward in traffic, as soon as I let off the gas I'd get a puff of smoke. It did this on startup too. The problem disappeared when I did heads. I can only assume it was the new valve seals that fixed it. I've had the vertical PCV mod on the car for about 2 years now (way before I did heads).

Quick Reply: excessive smoke on decel