Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in LS1 blocks/extra oil channel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in LS1 blocks/extra oil channel?

I have a 2000 corvette motor that has a cracked block. My plan is to buy a block and swap my internals over to the new block—Of coarse with new wear items like bearings etc…

I have bought a new LS1 block, but am unsure what year of block it is. On inspection of the blocks they seem identical except for one thing I am hoping someone might be able to help me on.

On the back of the 2000 block (meaning next to the firewall) underneath the cover plate there are 2 holes that flow oil to the lifters.(or I guess you might call it the valley) One hole for the left valve train and one for the right valve train. Connecting these 2 holes on the block there is a large reservoir which appears to let a larger amount of oil flow between the 2 holes. On the block I am replacing my 2000 with, there is nothing on the block connecting the holes, it is simply machined flush. However on the cover there is a channel that would allow oil to flow between the 2 holes. I checked the part number on my cover and it works on 97-02 vettes.

Does anyone know what this extra reservoir is all about? Can I put on the cover with the indent and assume enough oil will flow through without the indent in the block or will I have problems? Do I need to have my new block machined to incorporate that reservoir to allow more oil to pass.

Any help would be appreciated I am at a loss here, and after investing this much I don’t want to mess up here.

Thanks