Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston and rod combo selection, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston and rod combo selection, help please!

Well I am finally ready to order my pistons and rods and would like some help from you guys in choosing the right combination for my application.

I am building an iron block 408 stroker, I will be using 317 cast heads(72cc volume), gaskets with a thickness of .040

I need to stay on 93 octane pump gas.

I use nitrous, and eventually plan a 150-200RWHP shot on the motor, possibly direct port at a later time, but still around that HP range.

this truck is my only vehicle, and as such, a daily driver. I drive to school, to work(when employed), and on the occasional road trip across Texas, so drivability, reliability are issues.

The cam going in the truck is an ms3 113lsa camshaft, PRC dual springs w/ titanium retainers, the heads are hand ported(unknown porter, told hes in a big shop in vegas).

I was looking at a -12 mahle piston and a -15 diamond piston at thunder racings website. Does anyone here know what each of these are rated for with nitrous, and how well they hold up, as well as overall quality? They are about the same price, its not a big deal.

As for rods, I looked at Crower and compstar H beams, both were prices from 500-600$ price range, and ive been told that they are both great rods and either will hold up for my application. Any huge reason to go with compstar over crower?

With all that said, this is the first motor ive ever built. Im taking my time, doing loads of research, and measuring everything, but still know how to appreciate good advice from seasoned pros, so im all ears!

Thanks guys!
-Lurius
Old 03-16-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

Bump?

-Lurius
Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Bump?

-Lurius
Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Call Erik at HKE, tell him you what specific compression you want with your heads and he will get you the pistons you need. as for rods I am running the Eagle H-Beam 6.125" rods and ARP2000 bolts. Planning ~300 spray on my motor.