Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default changing chain?

can you change the timing chain by just pulling the oil pump forward a little???
Old 09-25-2002, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: changing chain?

No, it's not that simple. I just finished changing my chain to the Katech one. You will need to drop the oil pan about 1.5 inches, which means taking out almost all of the pan bolts. Then, you will need to remove the one bolt holding the pickup tube to the bottom of the pump. Wedge a clean cloth in there in case you drop the bolt, so it doesn't fall in to the pan. Then the oil pump will slide right off. Sounds like a royal PITA, but it's fairly simple. No need to lift the motor. Also, if you have an 01 or 02, theres no need to replace the gasket.
Old 09-25-2002, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks
Old 09-26-2002, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You do not have to drop the oil pan.
I just installed a Katech pump and timing chain.

Raise front of car on jack stands.
Remove the cooling fans to make room for your head between radiator and front of engine. Drain coolant, remove pulley, water pump, timing cover.

With the fans removed you can get right up to the pump were you can see the bolt holding the pick up tube on.

Putting rags under the pump and bolt is a good idea in case you drop the pick up bolt.

You need a thin boxed end wrench or buy a cheap one and grind it. I used a cheap wrench ground it thinner and bent more of an angle at the boxed end. Once the the oil pump pick up tube bolt is loose you can use a stick magnet and flat blade screwdriver to turn it.

Reinstallation is a bit trickier. Be sure not to pinch the o-ring on the oil pick up tube. Once again you can use a stick magnet and flat blade screwdriver to get the pick up tube bolt started.

It is definitely doable without dropping the pan.

Email me if you have questions.

<small>[ September 26, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Speed Demon ]</small>