Sponsored by:

Cam Choice, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Choice, Please Help

This is a copy of the message I sent Raughammer:
First of all, let me say that your website is one of the most informative I have ever seen. Thank you for taking the time to design such an informative website. Second of all. I am thinking of ordering a cam soon and would like your
opinion on a couple of things. What I want out of the cam is as follows:
1. spin the motor no more then 6600
2. be able to use my stock 3.42s until I get 4.10 (I don't care if it
surges just as long as it doesn't do it so bad it breaks my neck)
3. make around 400 to the wheels
4. I want it to thump good
5. I don't want to spend a million bucks
My mods: Ftra, Adjusted thermostat, ASP pulley, Lid, Ported Maf, Shaner s2 TB, Hooker long tubes, 3 inch y pipe, 4 inch mufflex with spintech and single turndown, ls6 intake, autotap, ls1 edit

Because I don't want to spend amillion bucks I was looking at racenet and they offer any choice of comp cams, pushrods, and 918 springs for 579. If you think it is a good idea I will probably throw in titanium retainers. They also have mannley springs with less seat pressure but more open pressure for the same price. Which one would you go with.

My possible choices: All on 112lsa
222/222 581
226/226 581
224/224 581
What do you think? I will be getting s2 heads at some point also and would like to not have to switch out cams if possible.
Also, don't be afraid to make suggestions that are not on the list. Thank you greatly. I can't tell you how much I will appreciate your reply. You seem to be very knowledgeable in cam selection so I was hoping you would share your knowledge with me so I can do it right the first time.

P.S. I have stock heads and don't want to machine for different valve springs.