Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bronze valve guides/liners??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 12:48 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bronze valve guides/liners??

I've got a set of GTP stage 2 heads right now that are disassembled. It hasn't been ruled out that they were the cause of an excessive oil consumption/smoking on my last motor. I have had them checked out and told they were fine. Regardless of that I want to put some new guides in them. Would it be best to go with some new bronze guides or just the bronze liners? I can't say I know exactly what the difference would be. I just want something that will last and not leak. Also, does naybody know about how much $$ i'm lookin at to just have the valve guides installed? Where can I purchase the guides/liners?
Old 09-29-2002, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Default Re: Bronze valve guides/liners??

All I know is if you are going much over 550-560 lift on the cam, bronze guides become a good idea.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Old 09-30-2002, 05:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any good perf. machine shop can answer these questions about price and availability on bronze guides but i can say this, stock guides will give longest life untill you go to hi spring pressures, not the same as just more lift.Hi side loading from fast action cams and there matching springs is what causes more heat and wear, and bronze guides will be more durable under these conditions than stock iron guides.This could be one area that it would reaaly pay to use Synthetic oil over Dino.

Quick Reply: Bronze valve guides/liners??