Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did thermostat stick, or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did thermostat stick, or what?

Ok, I don't have the temp. gauge working right yet. But I know when the fans come on, so I kinda know normal operating temp.

Car started running like crap. Is there a "limp home" mode on these things?

Fans came on and would not go off. Radiator fluid was COLD, but block and heads got pretty hot. Plus the radiator got about 1/4th low for some reason.

Did the thermostat stick? I let the car sit for a few hours and it has been running fine.

I have also noticed the valve train sound a little louder now (listeninng from the top of the intake). Did it get to hot and screw up something?
Old 10-01-2002, 03:42 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Default Re: Did thermostat stick, or what?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by gwj:
<strong>? My first guess is the water temp sensor is either unplugged or not working. (It's on the drivers' side head, up front around the #1 plug)
..if the fans are running constantly, that tells me the pcm is not seeing correct water temp.
And yes, there is a "limp home mode", where there are default values the pcm uses. The pcm will switch banks/cyls to try to prevent an overheat condition.
Hope this helps.
Come in here folks that have had experience w/this prob.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My second guess is that because you have transplanted engines; Could be air in the rad/block.? Insufficient flow through your rad? If the engine was intact and running good before transplant I would look at the cooling system.
Details, man, details!
Old 10-01-2002, 03:48 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Sorry, I posted,edited, and reposted. In my experience, I've very seldom seen a thermo stuck closed, although it does happen.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

It's been running great for a month, then this just happened.

It's now been two days, and the crazy thing is acting fine. I've done nothing. It's just better now. Whatever works!

Thanks for the info anyway!!