Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoke?

I have always had a little white smoke on startup until it gets warm. I ran mobile 1 10w30 synthetic oil and it looked real thin, it would just drip off the dipstick when i would check the oil. I changed my oil the other day and went with mobile 1 0w40 and it looked real good and thicker when i got it in. I drove my car that night and raced another LS1 and after the race i hit the next light and had white smoke blowing by me. I pulled over and checked it and ther was some when revving it, but not much. I then checked my oil, and it now looks very thin, it also was dripping off of the dipstick now. Is this how synthetic is?? Can anyone explain the smoke? I have an '02 with a lid and pacesetter longtubes and an electric cutout. Maybe a tune or headgasket?? Im lost please help!! I drove it yesterday and no smoke period, none at idle or WOT.
Thanks!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Launching!

have you gotten a tune yet? If so with the LT I would, Ive always had a little white smoke on mine but its also running lean for pretty much a stocker.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

no, no tune yet. I thought maybe its leaned out a little, but sometimes when i go WOT I hear from people behind me that i have black smoke on occasion.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

does the 0w40 oil break down that quick?? i cant figure this out, but a couple say its probably nothing. Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

White smoke is most likely oil, although the black smoke on accel could be caused by lazy O2 sensors.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

white smoke sounds like ur burning oil. black smoke would be understandable since every Fbody i've seen with modified exhaust and even some without puff it out, especially under WOT, sometimes under revving without load, but usually that's only with untuned cars *in my experiance.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

i hear a lot of ls motors will burn some oil, do you think i have a problem?? it doesnt do it much, but it smoked pretty good after this certain race, and hasnt happened again. i guess i cant figure out why it smoked really bad only once. im sorta worried to do it again though.