Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam is on it's way- what else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam is on it's way- what else?

I ordered the XER .228/224-.588/.581-112 Comp cam. I got the 918 springs and Ti retainers, hardend push rods, and all gaskets- what else do I need?
I was thinking about going ahead and getting the ASP pulley cuz I've gotta take it off anyway, but what about timing chain or oil pump?
My car only has 20k on it- do I really need a new chain and I read somewhere that the oil pumps were bad in the '98 or '99's but the new ones are fine in the '00 &up.
I'll have it programmed- should I have him change the temp on the fans? What about a new t-stat?
Anything I'm forgetting?

Old 10-26-2002, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Default Re: cam is on it's way- what else?

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bohdi:
<strong>I ordered the XER .228/224-.588/.581-112 Comp cam. I got the 918 springs and Ti retainers, hardend push rods, and all gaskets- what else do I need? </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That cam has come serious lift. I think a set of matched heads would be nice. I don't think the stock heads can fully take advantage of a cam with that much lift.

I'd also check out the new REV dual springs that don't require machining the head. I think they might be better than the 918's if you aren't doing heads at this time.

<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
I was thinking about going ahead and getting the ASP pulley cuz I've gotta take it off anyway, but what about timing chain or oil pump?
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you want to do a pulley or the ATI dampner that would be the time to do it. The timing chain & oil pump really depend on what you want to do. I plan on leaving both the stock chain and oil pump on my car when have heads and cam installed. Both ARE & Katech have had their aftermarket oil pumps take a crap at least once. I'm not convienced the ported pumps are much better than the stock ones for my application. If money isn't an issue might want to think about the doing the rod bolts too.

<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
My car only has 20k on it- do I really need a new chain and I read somewhere that the oil pumps were bad in the '98 or '99's but the new ones are fine in the '00 &up. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 00, 01 & 02 cars have all had oil pumps crap out on them. Probably not as often as the earlier years but it still occurs. Most of the oil pump failure I read about seemed to occur before the engine had 35,000 miles on it.

I'll have it programmed- should I have him change the temp on the fans? What about a new t-stat?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't think a 160 stat is worth much on the typical heads and cam car. The tuner should have a good feel for what to set the fans at, if he doesn't then run. I think 180 to 190 is usually pretty decent. I would get a reputable tuner like MTI or similar to do the PCM tune if you can't get it dyno tuned with LS1 Edit.

Anything I'm forgetting?
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Might as well do new plugs too.

How about a ported TB?

Aftermarket shifter like the Pro 5.0 or Ripper?

Any emissions concerns?

Might want to do gears at the same time if you can if your getting the car programmed, save having to go back and update later.

Good Luck

<small>[ October 26, 2002, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: 99 Black Bird T/A ]</small>
Old 10-26-2002, 08:36 PM
Teching In

you will definitley have to program the car. i have a 2002 and have the tr224 112 and i have to program mine. rough rough start ups
Old 10-26-2002, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the resonse. yes I intend to do the TB (already purchased a Katech unit)and custom tuning. heads are in the future- that's the reason for the larger cam. I was planning on going with a 4.30 gear in a 12 bolt.