Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 technical questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 technical questions

im new to LS1's and was just wanting to know the basics on the engine, such as the stock horsepower limits on a completly stock engine, what RPM should not be exceded with the stock rods, crank etc.... if you had a high duration cam and valvetrain to take advantage of it, also the limits of the stock 4L60E(i know its not alot but what is it?) what would be the highest duration cam i could run without having to run a stall converter? this will be a steetcar and will not be built anytime soon being i am a poor highschool student, also i know the stock 10 bolt isnt strong but i hear isnt so bad with a A4 and the fact that isnt going to see the track maybe more than once when i get it complete, whats the limit on the rear end? that about all i can think of right now, i know its a bunch of Q's strung together but id apreciate any input, thanks
Old 03-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
im new to LS1's and was just wanting to know the basics on the engine, such as the stock horsepower limits on a completly stock engine 450-500(pistons/rod bolts), what RPM should not be exceded with the stock rods, crank etc 6200rpm is about max with the stock valve springs/pushrods.... if you had a high duration cam and valvetrain to take advantage of it around 7K, but 6300 is as high as I would take it with an early LS1 (99 or older) block to to oil-drainage issues), also the limits of the stock 4L60E about 400wtq and 6200 rpm with rpm being MUCH more important.(i know its not alot but what is it?) what would be the highest duration cam i could run without having to run a stall converter? this will be a steetcar and will not be built anytime soon being i am a poor highschool student, also i know the stock 10 bolt isnt strong but i hear isnt so bad with a A4 as long as you dont put stickies on it it should be fine with the A4 and the fact that isnt going to see the track maybe more than once when i get it complete, whats the limit on the rear end? that about all i can think of right now, i know its a bunch of Q's strung together but id apreciate any input, thanks
Did my best^
Old 03-25-2007, 08:04 PM
10 Second Club

thanks that helped alot, i have a 2000 z28, does mine have any issues? am i part of the older LS1's or am i ok?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the stock horsepower limits on a completly stock engine what RPM should not be exceded with the stock rods, crank etc.... if you add a high duration cam and valvetrain to take advantage of it
most people seem to agree that 2000 and earlier engines are limited by the rod bolts to a max of 6200-6500 RPM, depending on how far they are willing to push it. Upgrading them to Katech or ARP bolts seems to bump that high enough that the valvetrain will be your next worry. Stock valvetrain components that might otherwise limit the engine would be swapped out when you do the cam. Hydraulic rollers are still rpm limited by weight and lobe profile, but 7200+ isn't unheard of.

also the limits of the stock 4L60E(i know its not alot but what is it?)
the stock tranny is limited by the RPM it will withstand, which is not much more than 6000 rpm. Most cams are going to make peak horsepower above that, so it would be wise to consider upgrading the tranny and the converter

what would be the highest duration cam i could run without having to run a stall converter?
a stall converter is generally good for 3-4 tenths on a relatively stock car. I would research converters, because not too many performance cams work very well without at least a 3200 stall converter. If you select a cam around the stock converter, you aren't even going to get close to 400rwhp without investing in some very good heads.

whats the limit on the rear end?
With an A4 and street tires, you have very little chance of breaking the stock rear, even less on the stock converter.

I'd recommend searching for cars that perform the way you want and note what parts they are using to get there. Then find out more about the tranny hard parts and converter selection in the automatic forum.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for that info, i didnt know stalls were that performance enhancing, ill just got with a stall then and get a pretty radical cam, i was just planning on doing minor things to the engine and then adding a turbo is the only reason i didnt want to invest all the money in stalls and heads, but maybe those mods will be the most efective, built tranny, stalled, cammed and stroked LS1 might be pretty nasty then add a turbo then ur rolling.