Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

Our 99 SS-M6 oil pressure gage likes to twitch at idle. Has anyone else noticed this? It's fine under a load normal readings. Should I be concerned?
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

98 was the only year the the oil guage works correctly. Where is it when it twitches. If it is twitching above 40 it is kind or normal. Also does it have a underdrive pully, as that caused mine to jump around a bit.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it twictches at idle around 40 just twitches, then once i put it in gear and go it works fine.

its a 99 so i guess it has the under drive pulley.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

40 is ok, what oil are you using- brand and weight?

A underdrive pulley is something that is aftermarket that most people that put cams in their cars also put on. Ask the pervious owner if he ever put one on or look under the car at the botton pulley and see if it is different from the rest color wise.

My best guess is that the oil pump is going to need changed in the future or the oil you are using is too thin. I switched to Royal Purpal 10W40 and the twitchiness went away.

Also check the oil levels.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 98 sending unit died durring my LS6 intake install...go figure. But it did the same thing, twitching that is. It read under 40 at idle twitching. Well, the replacement sending unit was a borg warner (not ac delco) and it likes to read over 50. I know that cant be right on my stock oil pump @ 100k. So dont get the borg warner sending unit if you ever need one.

FYI, I am getting a new oil pump, lol. Goin in with the cam...
Old 04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
40 is ok, what oil are you using- brand and weight?

A underdrive pulley is something that is aftermarket that most people that put cams in their cars also put on. Ask the pervious owner if he ever put one on or look under the car at the botton pulley and see if it is different from the rest color wise.

My best guess is that the oil pump is going to need changed in the future or the oil you are using is too thin. I switched to Royal Purpal 10W40 and the twitchiness went away.

Also check the oil levels.

The car does not have an underdrive pulley. The oil we use 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic. The oil level is good checked it before I left the other day. What do you think? We will replace the oil pump when the car gets a cam and other goodies. Right now she's just got the LS6 intake, headers, x-pipe, 9-inch, really not much upgrades and nothing motor wise internally - YET
Old 04-11-2007, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

to the top