Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&BP shortblock vs. stock shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&BP shortblock vs. stock shortblock

I don't understand how some people can talk about times for a H/C car, but then if it has an aftermarket shortblock, they say "oh, well that isn't the stock shortblock, so it isn't as impressive...". Why?? The only benefits that I know of for an aftermarket shortblock would be:

1. forged internals for boost or nitrous (doesn't matter for N/A)
2. lighter internals (rev easier, maybe a couple more hp)
3. tighter tolerances (again rev a little easier and smoother)

What else is there? Yeah, they could rev higher safely, but how does that take away from the fact that a 346 car runs 10s N/A? Enlighten me as to the other differences please...
Old 11-19-2002, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: B&BP shortblock vs. stock shortblock

IMHO, you pretty much nailed the differences right there... The main advantage is not power, but strength.

My old 347 (.010 over '98 block) used a stock crank, stock rods/bolts, Wiseco forged N2O pistons (I was a nitrous junkie at the time), and stock bearings throughout. I don't think the Wiseco pistons netted me any hp in my case. If anything, they cost me a few since the compression height was less than stock (hurting compression ratio a little), and the rings were gapped pretty wide for a ~200hp shot of laughing gas.

All I see when I look at a fast H/C car with a stock bottom end is one that hasn't broken yet.