Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking engine out

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default taking engine out

last weekend i was driving down the road and my SS threw a rod @ 4000. i need to take the motor out of the car to inspect how much damage i did to the block and see if i can sleeve it and use it still. anyone have an easy way to take the motor out of the car w/o taking all of the wiring out first and then dropping the motor? any advise will be great.

BTW, i have never had to deal with a car like this before, and if anyone knows of a rotating assembly that is good and cheap that is great for these cars?
Old 11-20-2002, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: taking engine out

I believe it may be easiest to take it out the bottom. I helped a friend of mine put in a tubular K-member and I could see where, with just a few more items removed, the motor would slide right on out. (you have to raise the body/frame of the car up pretty high tho)
Old 11-20-2002, 06:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,137 Likes on 740 Posts

Bottom if you have a lift.

Your shortblock is probably pretty bad.

I'd concurrently source another used shortblock.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:47 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best way to pull your motor out is threw the bottom if you have a lift. im a collision tech and thats the way i do it when i do major structure repair the way i pull my motor is threw the top at home not bad first pull the coolers (radiator condencer)and then the intake,coil packs,headers ect the more you take off the easier it is to get to everything theres a system that stuff has to come apart to make it easier it takes me about 1 1/2hr to pull my motor with a buddy that knows what he is doing