Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get trans. to seperate from the engine, help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cant get trans. to seperate from the engine, help please

Im trying to remove the engine out the top, and I have all of the 8 bolts that connect the bellhousing to the engine removed, but I can get the transmission to pull apart from the engine. I have a small gap on the passenger side that I've been prying like hell on but I cant get it any further. Is there something holding it together that im missing or do you guys have any tips for getting these apart?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure all electronic connectors are unplugged and if its and auto tranny any cooler lines. Other than that just keep prying and it helps to get under and wiggle the transmission while someone else prys on it. The dowels are prolly just rusted or seized in there holes. Penatrating oil may help if you can get it where the dowles are.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What trans do you have T56 or 4L60e ?

There are only 5 bolts that connect the Bell housing to the engine!. Are you trying to disconnect the Trans to the Bell housing ?

As z28adiction stated. those dowel pin really take some prying, I had to use a lot of force on mine to seperate.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Default got it!

I got it out! Thanks for the help guys I think I just needed some reasurance that it needed to really be pryed and beat on to get it out. Oh and I have a T56 trans. For anyone reading this that is having the same troubles, the method that I used to separate the transmission from the engine was: After removing all of the bolts connecting the two. There are two parts of the bellhousing that are exposed that can be pushed against from both sideds of the engine. Using 2 4x4 posts up against those eposed sections of the bellhousing my dad and I simultaneously hit the ends of the posts with sledge hammers until the transmission separated from the engine. Just make sure that the engine hoist doesn't roll forward as you push against the bellhousing. That bitch was really stuck on there.

Quick Reply: Cant get trans. to seperate from the engine, help please