Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV system removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002 | 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default PCV system removal?

I've ordered ARE valvecovers and will be putting a breather in each cover. Ant potential issues with doing this?
Old 12-05-2002 | 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: PCV system removal?

PCV systems were designed to prevent crankcase fumes from polluting the environment, which you probably already knew. However, an unintended benefit of the pcv system was better ring sealing from the small vacuum in the crankcase. How much better ring sealing ?? Has anyone ever tested this? Maybe someone here knows.

Pcv systems should increase, and in any event do not reduce, horsepower, so unless the crankcase is over-pressurized from supercharging, what is your purpose in removing it?

Pcv oil-mist that is sucked into the intake manifold can easily be removed with an air/oil seperator, like the Greddy can or a Camel compressor filter.
Old 12-05-2002 | 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

George C has done this.He also has the ARE valve covers.He runs a crankcase evac system.Each of the valve covers has a breather with a hose connected to it which runs to a fitting welded to the collector on the headers.As far as problems I'm not shure.
Old 12-05-2002 | 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I plan on throwing an ATI on my car in spring, would it be wise to get breather valves and ditch the PCV system....I think thats the cause of the inside of the intake being shiney...