Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettin my heads ported and polished

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002 | 08:56 PM
Teching In

Default Gettin my heads ported and polished

I'm getting my stock heads ported and polished. How much power do you think that will give me. Are there any disadvantages to porting your stock heads?
Old 12-05-2002 | 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Default Re: Gettin my heads ported and polished

Head work really depends on who is doing it and if they know what they are doing. Make sure someone with experience with the LS1 does the work otherwise you could end up worse than you started off.
Old 12-05-2002 | 09:23 PM
FormerVendor

Ya all 5.7 heads are "STOCK" heads reworked there is no after market heads yet. Most companies do a set they have and swap them out for the ones from your car. We have our heads on special right now in the sponsor section, take a look. You can call if you have any questions.
Nate
Old 12-06-2002 | 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by marinecorpsT/A:
<strong>I'm getting my stock heads ported and polished. How much power do you think that will give me. Are there any disadvantages to porting your stock heads?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">TEA
Total engine airflow is your best deal for the buck.Known results,dual springs and some of the best prices you can get.
Old 12-06-2002 | 07:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

To answer your specific question, a good set of ported heads should give you 25 RWHP or so.
The main drawback to ported heads is the cost. Also, if the porting job goes too far, and runner volume gets over 210 cc's, your TQ might suffer. Velocity is very important, even more so than total flow.

It sounds as if you already have someone in mind to do your porting. However, almost any of the sponsors here offer high-quality ported heads at reasonable prices. IMHO, Absolute Speed offers the best value, but TEA, GTP, ARE, & others also have their fans.

The biggest advantage of dealing w/ our sponsors is that they are very experienced w/ the LS1 engine and its flow characteristics. Some porting tricks that work well on SBC's don't translate well to the LS1.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Gettin my heads ported and polished