Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on forged pistons and knock sensors...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2002, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on forged pistons and knock sensors...

I was thinking, what keeps the PCM from determining that the engine is detonating (due to the signal from the knock sensors) while forged pistons are expanding during on cold startup and a rattling in the bores?

Not only would this reducing the timing the engine sees but would potentially put more fuel into the engine than needed. At the worst possible time too (idle), all that unspend fuel would go right into the crank and mix with the oil (I'm glad I installed the LS6 valley cover and PCV system recently).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I am very reluctant to attenuate the signals from the knock sensors in any way...

-Kris
Old 12-08-2002, 08:55 PM
FormerVendor

Default Re: Thoughts on forged pistons and knock sensors...

Good question but the frequency of piston slap is not the same as true detonation. Also if you are running a decent forged piston, you should always let it warm up before taking off. It shouldn't take more then a minute or two before it quiet's up. Keep in mind that at idle there is no load. The PCM will only pull timing after it sees detonation, see enough rpm and load.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Thoughts on forged pistons and knock sensors...

i agree with 9d9ls plus remember there are many of us running around with gm's-F@$kup-piston slap from the factory. and no knock sensor problems from that.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on forged pistons and knock sensors...