Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think i droped a valve...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think i droped a valve...Please help

I started the car and drove it for about 10min then noticed a small ticking. Parked it then the next day i turned it on to see if i would be able to see better where the ticking was comming from and the motor was just knocking its a$$ off. Pulled the valve covers off and everthing seems to be intact.

Is there anyway to see diagnose the problem without pulling the heads?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the valves are held up by the springs and locks.. if i recall correctly.. i dont think u could have dropped one without a spring flying off...
Old 04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Everything looked fine with the valve covers off? Pull the rockers, if all the springs come back up to the same height, I doubt you dropped, broke or bent a valve. If one or more of the valve spring assemblies do not return all the way to the closed position you may have bent or broke a valve. Beyond that try a compression or leakdown test. I'm thinking its something else however.....like a possible spun rod bearing.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I shure hope its not that I had the motor rebuit 1 yr ago and hardly been driven oil changed every 2000 miles. This really blows. Should I crank the car with the VC off? or just pull the rockers. Sorry guys just new to the whole getting inside the LS1. Is there a place i can go and see about pulling the rockers?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Staging Lane

from my experience you can usually identify "knocking" from 1 side or the other.. I would pull the valve covers and pull the rockers ( really easy to do. just get a 8mm socket and untighten them) look at the pushrods and make sure you didnt bend one ect...

you sure it isnt an exhaust leak also. alot of "knocks" have been misdiagnosed for an exhaust leak.

is this thing stock? what mods are on it... if youcan get us a sound clip and video we are much better at diagnosing.. ( or giving you our best guess!!)

later aaron
Old 04-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMO
I started the car and drove it for about 10min then noticed a small ticking. Parked it then the next day i turned it on to see if i would be able to see better where the ticking was comming from and the motor was just knocking its a$$ off. Pulled the valve covers off and everthing seems to be intact.

Is there anyway to see diagnose the problem without pulling the heads?
If the sound is getting worse each time you start it more than likely it's not a lifter or valve spring issue.
You can pull the valve covers and turn the motor over and check that each valve is closing all the way.
You can also run a compression test; these two tests will tell you if it's a valve issue.
I would check that all the header bolts are tight, if the sound goes away or gets quieter as the motor warms up it could be a header gasket.
I would go ahead and drain the oil out of it, check for metal in the oil and filter.
If you have spun a bearing you will see bearing material in the oil. It could also be a piston issue, which will also put metal in the oil. Check your oil and let me know what you see, we can go from there.

Harold
Port Pros LLC
512-257-0222
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

This is what happens when the valve drops and hits the piston... Believe me, you would know!!