Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not just another cam question (or, maybe it is)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not just another cam question (or, maybe it is)

2005 GTO, stock LS2, 3000 stall, 100 dry shot nitrous...runs times shown in signature. I am looking for another 30-40 rwhp. I don't want to increase the nitrous shot; nor do I want to change the intake or lose the stock exhaust manifolds.

The first thought is to go with a CheaTR cam which was designed for use with stock exhaust. I know the cam would meet my hp goals; but it also has some other design characteristics that I don't necessarily need. It is speced for applications that must pass emissions with a near stock idle. I don't have to pass emissions for registration; and I am not overly concerned with the idle. I can live with more overlap (within reason).

Additionally, the CheaTR has a fairly high rpm range that is in excess of where I would be willing to push my A4 transmission (6300 rpm for shift points is where I would be comfortable). Lastly, the CheaTR has aggressive lobes that require the use of dual valve springs. I would prefer not to have to worry about changing the springs every 10-15,000 miles.

Ok, if you are still with me...here is the question. Am I looking for the impossible; or is there a cam grind that can give me the power goals I seek without the "draw backs" that I have outlined. In a nutshell, I want as much under the curve increase as possible,with peak power around 6200-6300 rpm while retaining the stock exhaust manifolds.

Please don't just tell me how much easier it would be with long tubes...I already know that; but keeping the stock exhaust manifolds is a must for me.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Edit...Just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Mods, feel free to move it to the LS2 Internal Section...I don't know how.

Last edited by TA455; 04-14-2007 at 08:51 PM.