Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is locktite needed for cam bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is locktite needed for cam bolts?

Is this optional or a neccessity with aftermareket camshafts?
Thanks
Old 12-26-2002, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Is locktite needed for cam bolts?

The smart move is to always buy 3 new cam bolts. They come from the factory with red loctite at the end threads near the head of the bolt. Kinda like the crank bolts do, etc.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YES! ALways use locktite on those bad boys! If you don't they can back out and give you alot of serious problems.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Damn it. Just did a cam install on my younger brothers car and the helms manual did not say anything about loctite but we did do this on mine so the best thing to do would be to pull the timing cover back off and put loctite on the cam bolts and not the retainer bolts?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Smoke_ur_5.0:
<strong>YES! ALways use locktite on those bad boys! If you don't they can back out and give you alot of serious problems.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why do you have to use Loctite on the cam bolts when the Helms manual doesn't call for them? Granted it's nice insurance to have Loctite on the bolts and the Helm's is by no means gospel, how many cams have had their bolts back out if they were torqued properly to spec?

Also, why should new cam bolts be used, they are not TTY so they can be re-used with no issues.

My brother made this post under my handle so I'm replying because I think his rationale is totally asanine and a huge waste of time. He torqued them to spec as it is called for by the Helm's manual. The Helm's manual says nothing of using Loctite and/or using new cam bolts.

I know of one person who had the cam bolts back out and that was because MBaskett's write-up had a typo on the torque spec for the cam bolts, 18 lb-ft as opposed to the correct spec of 26 lb-ft. His cam bolts walked out. He's the only person I know of that has had this happen and it was b/c of using the wrong torque spec.

Thanks for any and all input.