Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piston slap when warm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003 | 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default piston slap when warm?

obviously i have the cold slap everyone talks about but even once i get to operating temp (200 degrees) it slaps for quite a while after that. it only does it at idle though. when i rev it up it stops slapping 'till i go back to idle. now my question is this: once my temp gauge reaches its 200 degree mark does that mean im where i should be or is my engine really not that hot yet? or maybe theres just something wrong with my engine. i have average track times for an ls1 so i dont think its effecting performance but i drive this car everywhere and im just worried about it breaking after the warranty is up. i have 3,700 miles on it now i bought it in september of '02 so it still has most of its 3 yr warranty. is this something i should be concerned about or should i just let it go and see what happens?
Old 04-28-2003 | 07:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: piston slap when warm?

There is a warranty issue out for a problem w/the oring seal in the oil pump, there was a post going about this, customers were complaing to have a knocking sound and they are replacing that part, some still have the noise, others who got the part replaced got it fixed...

All depends on what the problem actually is...

Quick Reply: piston slap when warm?