Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Threw a code and studied the problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Threw a code and studied the problem.

Last year my SES light went off when I had the cruse control set at about 70. My good friend has EFI live and all the diagnostic tools so I swung over to his house to see whats up. When the light came on I heard a surge in the air pump and the lights did a dim and back to normal when it initially did this. Now we reset the SES light last fall after we found out what code it threw, well just the other day it went off again. So we scaned it again and the same P1416 Air systems bank 2 came back to us. We didnt do anything to it last year because it was toward the end of the season and this wasnt effecting performance. So we started up the car, let it idle got some data and saw that my A/F values were just about where they should be. 1.00 being lean and .0 being rich. My values for the bank 2 were averaging .45 -.68. So we turned on the air pump disconnected the hoses and made sure it wasnt the vaccum on the rear of the manifold on the drivers side. It was all good becuase the air coming out of both sides (bank 1 & 2) were about the same amount of blowing force. So we decided to try it on his Firehawlk. Same thing, same values, same everything as my car. So we have come to the conclusion, and this is where I was wondering what you guys think, do you think it could be the valve that is between the manifolds and the hose that runs behind the intake manifold? Or do you think it could be a coroded sensor somewhere? I have my money on the valve, cause if I remember right, when I owned my Grand Am I had to replace this same part twice, my parents Grand Prix had to be replaced once, and my dads, Yukon once. What are your inputs. Its a bank 2 problem, if it were back where the hoses Y then bank 1 should have gone off right? Whats your input.

thanks.
Mike

Last edited by Smokin00WS6; 05-25-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That code is odd. I have had my air pump off for a year and that code showed up for the first time the other day. I had previously modified the other codes and was in awe that it took about 4000 miles and many ignition cycles for that code to set. I don't ever see that code at work. A valve is a possibility.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you think, I drove another 3k after I reset it the first time, and it just came back on. It definately is an emisions thing.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replace the check valve. They're a common failure across all GMs product lines that use them. They corrode internally and stick setting the DTC. While you're at it, might as well replace both valves. They're cheap, fairly easy to replace, and it WILL fail in the future. Preventative maintenance!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Replace the check valve. They're a common failure across all GMs product lines that use them. They corrode internally and stick setting the DTC. While you're at it, might as well replace both valves. They're cheap, fairly easy to replace, and it WILL fail in the future. Preventative maintenance!
Sweet, thank you so much. I knew about the check valve corroding, so I think I am going to go ahead and replace that along with the valves. I think I will hold off on the other one though. I love that EFI Live tool, that thing is so much fun to play around with. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

I'm having the same code right now. It's that black thing in the hose coming off the manifolds right? I just ordered the passenger side one (p1416 is passenger, p1415 being driver). I have to clear this code and get my monitors back on to pass inspection!