Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Removal Guidance Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal Guidance Needed

I have decided to beef up my bottom end and run a little more boost. I will be removing the motor this weekend and having some machine shop work done next week. I have never pulled the motor before (I have done heads and cam with the engine in the car). I did a lot of searching and still can't decide whether to pull it from the top or drop it from the bottom. I won't have access to a lift but I do have a very capable engine hoist.

I have read that some people have dropped the motor without a lift by raising the front using an engine hoist. What lift points did they use?

If I go from the top, should I remove the heads first or leave them on? If I leave them on what bolts should I use to connect the hoist to the motor?

It's funny, a couple of years ago I was worried about how I was going to change the spark plugs on this car. I have really learned a lot since then by reading posts here and have been able to do my own heads/cam, intake, blower, rearend, clutch, etc... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks, Ken
Old 04-30-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Engine Removal Guidance Needed

Ken we do all ours from the top Ive tried both ways and me i like it from the top all we take off is the intake
rad,a/c leave hood on
give me or guy a call if you need advice
Old 04-30-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Ken. What should I bolt the hoist to? The intake bolts look too small. Should I remove some head bolts and use those? BTW, when I'm all done I'll be making an appointment to get the car on the dyno over at your place to make sure my A/F is okay. I have put on an inline Walbro pump to try and keep my fuel pressure up but only planned for this to be a temporary fix. Have you put in any dual in-tank setups or should I just go with a single in-tank Walbro and ditch the in-line pump?

-Ken
Old 05-01-2003, 03:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ken. What should I bolt the hoist to? The intake bolts look too small. Should I remove some head bolts and use those? BTW, when I'm all done I'll be making an appointment to get the car on the dyno over at your place to make sure my A/F is okay. I have put on an inline Walbro pump to try and keep my fuel pressure up but only planned for this to be a temporary fix. Have you put in any dual in-tank setups or should I just go with a single in-tank Walbro and ditch the in-line pump?

-Ken
Use the bolt holes at the ends of the heads. ( accessory bolts)