Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Daily driver cam...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cam for this combo?

Well I have been looking and reading on cams for my 98 LS1 for the better part of this week and I swear my head is going to explode. First off lets list whats on the car: Car is basically a bone stock internal 98 A4 motored beast. Has longtubes, ORY, Catback (soon to be true duals), has ported throttle body (on its way), ls6 intake, edge converter (3200), shiftkit, and 3.73s out back. No tuning or anything of that sort as of yet. Regardless I really want this last upgrade for me to be something of the decent sort. I am pretty happy with the car now, runs fine doesn't load up or give me any major issues. However I have been really wanting a cam to bring it all together till I decide to do a better shortblock in the future. Keep in mind I am NOT worried about emissions (don't ask), and I will be retaining the 4l60E so I don't expect to be turning 6500rpm, it just seems like there are so many choices. People get bogged down with peak power gains, sound, and alot of other nonsense. I want a good cam to match my specs that will provide decent power without sacraficing too much driveability. By driveability, I mean I can stand a choppy idle, and the gas milage associated with it, but I just really don't feel like taking my car and making it a beast up top and the low end street driving I do most of the time gets to be so bad I don't want to use it anymore.

Cliff notes: Looking for a cam with good lowend while increasing power up top some for a daily driver with mods listed above.

Thanks in advance
-SmallTires

Last edited by SmallTires; 06-05-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Realistically, you need to go find local cars and see how they behave. Ask some people for a quick ride in the car. Most people are happy to take you for a quick spin.

Everyone has a different opinion about what cam is best, and what is too much.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i have a 2000 T/A that had your exact set up , only diffence was i had a 3000 stall. i had the Thunder Racing Cheater cam , along with a 100 shot of nitrous. car ran great. had very good driving manners, good idle and made good power. i have since gone STS and forged short block, and i changed the cam. i have the Cheater cam sitting in the garage if your interested. Cam was in the car for about 1 year . looking for 300.00