Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls6 ls7?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will also need a stout fuel-system and some serious tuning. Who is going to build the motor? I would just do an iron 370 or 408 and centri-blower/turbo it. Look at some of the higher HP set-ups in the dyno section. You will be spending about $20K for 1000chp with decent manners...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 AM

20k? With supporting mods? I was thinking aorund 38k or so.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2 fast 2000
I think some people forgot to tell you that bigger will make you alot less streetable. You could pull that hp # with the LS1 or LS6! I noticed your also looking for a choppy ideling cam. Probably not going to happen with the turbo set up. A good sound yes, but buying a cam just for that will not happen with the forced induction set up. The twin screw you had mention probably will not happen either unless you plan on cutting up your wiper cowl. The billet manifold that was mention is also uneccesary. I would run a LS1 block in a 383, or ls2 block in the 402 sizes. Talk and ask around about the set up to some of the sponsors on here. They are very helpfull. I have a buddy with a stock cubbed 2000SS 347, single turbo set up. Nothing special at all other than running a stand alone unit. It made 812 rwhp & 744rwtq. It's a daily driver and he has put about 6000 miles on it with no problems.

. You can build a stout 346 with boost. However, more cubes will always make the power with less boost/effort when properly set up. You obviously haven't kept up much on the overlap to boost discussions in the FI threads. You can run a nice, lopey cam that will still love the boost all day long as long as you properly manage your valve events.

Bane was simply offering an example of the best pieces to show the guy what 'the good stuff' can cost and that no budget is big enough when it comes to building a strong, reliable engine (Fi or not).

LS67camaro, that kind of coin will definately buy you one badass street/strip machine. Make sure you think through and research every move you make so it turns out as good as it can get on the first run. APS is getting into the turbo game so you've got good timing. Call around and ask sponsors that have put out high-hp FI setups similar to what you're looking to build. Their experiance and previous mistakes will aid you in a more successful build. Remember, A LOT of people pushing upwards of 700rwhp (everyone, actually lol) are breaking things left and right so be careful and keep some of the dough around for when things do decide to give out.

Last edited by GTObsessor; 06-07-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Gonna need a bit more than 20k to drive a 1000 horse car away from the shop, cause it will only be a matter of miles before something is broken, the stock clutch wont handle 400 horse for very long so, you've got a few things you need to take care of.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
. You can build a stout 346 with boost. However, more cubes will always make the power with less boost/effort when properly set up. You obviously haven't kept up much on the overlap to boost discussions in the FI threads. You can run a nice, lopey cam that will still love the boost all day long as long as you properly manage your valve events.

Bane was simply offering an example of the best pieces to show the guy what 'the good stuff' can cost and that no budget is big enough when it comes to building a strong, reliable engine (Fi or not).

LS67camaro, that kind of coin will definately buy you one badass street/strip machine. Make sure you think through and research every move you make so it turns out as good as it can get on the first run. APS is getting into the turbo game so you've got good timing. Call around and ask sponsors that have put out high-hp FI setups similar to what you're looking to build. Their experiance and previous mistakes will aid you in a more successful build. Remember, A LOT of people pushing upwards of 700rwhp (everyone, actually lol) are breaking things left and right so be careful and keep some of the dough around for when things do decide to give out.
Thank you. That was my exact point. I am building a +-600rwhp na setup right now and you don't want to know what I have in just parts in my setup. It adds up real fast. Like was said, the combo I suggested would take what he wants to make and laugh at it. With ~440 cubes and the heads I listed you could hit a 1000 RWHP with a twin 67 setup at a really low(relative to what the components will handle) boost setup. You could then switch a pair of 76mm in and really turn the wick up.

Like has been stated, all the little things really add up. Something as simple as a fuel system can get get real expensive real quick. Look at the Nasty performance website under the f-body fuel setups and you will get what I am saying.

As far as the tranny setup, if you decide to keep the m6, things will get really pricey. If you are making ~1000 hp, you can break even the best one available. Nothing is made to stand up behind that much power for very long. I am not saying you can't do it, but breakage will happen, it is just a question of when. Honestly that goes for everything in a car like that.

Like I said, there are 1000 ways to build this much power. The more cubes you use, the more linear the power delivery "should be". Alas, the amount of money spent is parallel to the power curve. No, to be honest it is on a multiple of 1,000
Old 06-07-2007, 02:21 PM

Thank you for all of your replys, I think I am going to lower my goal. I don't know how far, but you know how things are.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Originally Posted by ls67camaro
Thank you for all of your replys, I think I am going to lower my goal. I don't know how far, but you know how things are.

Good idea. It's just a magic # 800 would be enough to annihialte supras, etc.

Go with a built for boost ls2 402, and an 8-rib F1R or a turbo setup and you can get 800 easy. You'll still have to pay a ton for upgraded everything (fuel, driveline, etc.)
Old 06-07-2007, 02:43 PM

annihialteing supras, ahh such great theropy. Why 402? Any particular reason?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

annihialteing supras, ahh such great theropy. Why 402? Any particular reason?
Don't know about this board, but in the FI section of corvetteforum it's a very proven combo. You could always get there with a 346, but a 402 would be a little more streetable and better down low with similar cam specs. I figured why not, it sounds like $$$ isn't an issue.

l92 is still too new, not enough high hp FI examples to pass a verdict.

Hell, if you have the money, the best bet period would be a c5r block 427cid motor set up for boost. The new warhhawk stuff, 6 bolt heads, etc. seem top notch too, not sure about availability though. Still very new/young.

And I personally would scrap the kb idea. With 800 hp, traction would be impossible. To actually use that power and race w/ it, I'd go with a ProCharger F1R. Or of course a turbo setup with an electronic boost controller would be great b/c you could dial it up for the track, dial it down for the street. That kb, while not practical, would be fun though. There is a guy on corvetteforum by the name of american_hp with a kb 402. Something rediculous like 700ft/lb torque at 2500rpm. Buy stock in rubber!
Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM

Ok, i just wondered why 402, not high cubes. i think the warhawk lsx is a good choice because i can't justify spending 6k on a block when i could spend 2.

As for a kb setup thats the reason i like it, but even with drag radials i still couldnt get traction.

i think a built lsx with a TT setup at low boost would work very well, since i could up the boost at the track.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by will82
Don't know about this board, but in the FI section of corvetteforum it's a very proven combo. You could always get there with a 346, but a 402 would be a little more streetable and better down low with similar cam specs. I figured why not, it sounds like $$$ isn't an issue.

l92 is still too new, not enough high hp FI examples to pass a verdict.

Hell, if you have the money, the best bet period would be a c5r block 427cid motor set up for boost. The new warhhawk stuff, 6 bolt heads, etc. seem top notch too, not sure about availability though. Still very new/young.

And I personally would scrap the kb idea. With 800 hp, traction would be impossible. To actually use that power and race w/ it, I'd go with a ProCharger F1R. Or of course a turbo setup with an electronic boost controller would be great b/c you could dial it up for the track, dial it down for the street. That kb, while not practical, would be fun though. There is a guy on corvetteforum by the name of american_hp with a kb 402. Something rediculous like 700ft/lb torque at 2500rpm. Buy stock in rubber!
While I agree on most of this, a c5r block cannot even come close to holding the boost that a warhawk or a lsx block can. The c5r was designed for endurance racing not drag racing, therefore it's ultimate power potential was not that much higher than a resleeved ls1/ls2 block. It would live longer at that level, yet it was far from bulletproof.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, i just wondered why 402, not high cubes. i think the warhawk lsx is a good choice because i can't justify spending 6k on a block when i could spend 2.

As for a kb setup thats the reason i like it, but even with drag radials i still couldnt get traction.

i think a built lsx with a TT setup at low boost would work very well, since i could up the boost at the track.
FWIW you can get a warhawk block prepped with all specific needed acc. for $4500. The gmpp lsx is about $2k.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:41 PM

do you mean crank pistons rods as acc?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
FWIW you can get a warhawk block prepped with all specific needed acc. for $4500. The gmpp lsx is about $2k.
Can you actually get them now, as well as 6-bolt heads?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Banned

If it was my car I would go the twin turbo route, with an LSX block if you have the coin.. not sure about maxing it out at 454, but going with a slightly smaller bore so if the **** hits the fan you can rebuild it. maybe a 4 inch bore with a 4.125 stroke all forged of course.. topped with some AFR or TFS or ALL PRO heads professionally cleaned up, a victor jr manifold port matched with an intake elbow, and as big a throttle body as I could fit. Run about 9:1 to 9.5:1 compression and 15-16 psi on 93. (I like bumping compression for better throttle response off boost, though it requires more octane sooner when you crank the boost) As far as turbos, something along the lines of twin 67's would probably work pretty well, but it would be better to ask that in FI or advanced. I'm very interested in what you do with this I hope it turns out well!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:54 PM

thanks asmodeus. I'm we have the same general idea. 9.5 to 1 sounds pretty high, but im no expert. i don't want to go to big on the turbos. i want to get a semi quike spool, but not so small that i can't make big power, and i'm always in boost. the LSX block looks good but i'm not sure how much differtent it is than a normally ls1 (im not very gen III noledgeable). intake wise why not just an ls6 intake, since the kit i like is matched for that.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ls6 intake is agood for lwoer hp apps, but when youre pushing that kinda hp youre elaving hp on the table and the intake amy not ahndle that muchb oost. id suggest either a custom made sheet emtal intake or the weiland metal ones
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

thanks asmodeus. I'm we have the same general idea. 9.5 to 1 sounds pretty high, but im no expert. i don't want to go to big on the turbos. i want to get a semi quike spool, but not so small that i can't make big power, and i'm always in boost. the LSX block looks good but i'm not sure how much differtent it is than a normally ls1 (im not very gen III noledgeable). intake wise why not just an ls6 intake, since the kit i like is matched for that.
The LSX block was made so every GM production piece would bolt right up to it, even 6 bolt heads that aren't production so don't worry about that. An LS6 intake is still made of plastic, and I wouldn't want to get crazy and throw 30psi in it for fear it would not hold together, plus it will choke down at very high HP levels. I would use the Edelbrock Victor Jr carb intake (it has injector bosses in it for Fuel Injection) and an elbow from intakeelbows.com. That's what the big dogs are running (8's 1/4 mile). If you want to ber able to turn the wick up and get crazy and you are always into boost, I'd go with 8.5:1 compression then.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 AM

okay, makes sense. wo would regular heads bolt up to an LSX block?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by will82
Can you actually get them now, as well as 6-bolt heads?
Yes

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/724863-special-deal-warhawk-blocks.html

The accessories I was speaking of are listed in that thread.