Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking noise only when on freeway! WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise only when on freeway! WTF

My car makes a ticking noise that sounds like it is either coming from the engine, or from where my LT headers connect or behind the manifold. What's weird is that my car doesn't make the ticking noise all the time though. If I drive normally or even rev it high, my car never makes the ticking noise. However, as soon as I start crising at 1900-2100 RPM on the freeway my car starts making the ticking noise. The ticking is also quite loud too. I can hear it over my music, and my exhaust. And this doesnt happen all the time either, its weird as hell!!! Sometimes it seems like it picks and chooses when to make that ticking noise. Once im off the freeway, it ticks pretty loud for about a mile after or so, then it quiets down and by the time i get to my house the ticking is gone so i cant check it out!!! What the hell can this be?!?!?!

Last edited by 1fastz; 06-14-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like an exhaust leak. I have the same problem ticking kinda comes and goes. I know I have two exhaust leaks with those crappy c-clamps on my y-pipe, waiting on band clamps to arrive. Good luck finding the ticking. It can drive you f-ing insane!!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MLavigne Z/28
It can drive you f-ing insane!!
hell yea it can, but now i just read a thread where one guy said he was using regular conventional oil and the ticking was starting and he went back to synthetic and it went away. right now im in the process of breaking in my motor and i decided to use 10-30 conventional oil.... soooo im thinking that might be it!! i dunno!!! but ill definetly check out for an exhuast leak!!! thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Damn, I am running 10w 30 right now. I might switch to the synthetic and see if it also helps. I just installed heads, cam and headers so my ears are very sensitive right now.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Just changed from conventional 10-30 to royal purple synthentic 5-30 and the ticking remains!!! Can ANYBODY chime in!??!?!!? this is getting rediculous!! I can start the car and let it warm up and i can rev the hell out of it and it sounds real healthy. However, i drive on the freeway, get to around 65 mph and i hear this annoying ticking!!! once off the freeway, it goes away after a mile!!!