Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking and cleaning oil pump.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking and cleaning oil pump.

Ok here is the situation. My buddy has a 408 LS2 based short block he recently built for his Z06. Anyway, due to someone on the build brilliance a small piece of brillo pad used to clean the bat-wing oil pan managed to go unoticed into the oil pan and was left the car. Car started and that brillo pad pretty much shredded and went through all the oil galleys in the motor wiping out all the bearings and clogging an oil galley passage. Motor came out and now he is wanting something bigger and better. Car was ran for literally five miles if that before it had its "issues." Anyway I can pick up his ported LS6 oil pump stupid cheap from him because he is afraid there might still be junk in it. Is there anyway to clear this thing, or take it apart to verify there is nothing in it before I bolt it up to mine? I am doing a cam swap on my 98 and I know this would be the perfect time along with the excellent price to do this, but I sure as hell don't want to destroy myc ar because I wanted to save a buck or two.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can clean the oil pump. Once the oil pump is out of the engine, unbolt all the 10mm bolts holding the front cover, remove cover, remove internals, unbolt plug at the bottom of the driver's side of the pump, pull spring and bypass valve. Clean everything, lube it up and reassemble. Make sure there are no gouges in the bypass valve bore and that the cylinder moves freely in its bore, otherwise you'll have little/no oil pressure.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, take it apart and its a pretty simple pump. But if its really scratched, its toast.

Quick Reply: Checking and cleaning oil pump.